Redbridge Schools interviews (Bancroft, Chigwell, Forest)

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dd34

Re: Redbridge Schools interviews (Bancroft, Chigwell, Forest

Post by dd34 »

Hi All. Interview went well according to DD but then she does always come out feeling fine for everything. :) She thought she could answer the questions better than the child she was paired up with. The parents looked much more worried than the children, who went in confidently. Interview lasted 20-25 minutes but felt like alot longer for us, DD thought it was so quick. Nervous wait now. Alot of children interviewed and more children will be interviewed this week I think.

Thankfully it has all finished, no more exams, interviews etc. Now the dreaded date of the 17th-18th Feb.

Good luck to everyone.
fatboyslim

Post by fatboyslim »

Hi all,my son said the interview was 'fine', but then he says that to everything!!
Parents do seem more worried than the kids, just want what's best for them.
He was interviewed on his own as other child did not turn up!
Good luck to all!!
zarinenur

Post by zarinenur »

son has sat the forest exam and has had the Bancrofts interview. i put him in for the City of London exam and he's got an interview there. it involves a one on one interview and group session over 2 hours! Anyone out there know what the interview involves?
dd34

Post by dd34 »

Over the moon, so happy. DD has been offered all 3. The wait was horrendous, postman late this morning and then 3 large envelopes on the doormat.
bethany

Post by bethany »

Brilliant news dd34!! :D :D :D

I waited around til nearly 11 for the postman this morning, but eventually had to go into work. Anyway my DH who has a day off has let me know that there are three nice big enveolpes from Forest, Chigwell and Bancrofts waiting for DD to open when she gets home from school!!! I am definitely leaving early today as I can't stand not seeing her face when she opens them, presuming that they are good news !?!?!
arrgee1991

Post by arrgee1991 »

:D Got our offer from Forest (didn't apply to any others). Now just have to wait for our state schools.
arrgee1991

Post by arrgee1991 »

muffinmonster wrote: pros and cons of each school?

Bancroft's: Lowest fees, superb facilities, has a reputation for being more difficult to get into, more prestigious as a result of this. Excellent results.

Forest: Middling fees, superb facilities (with a new library to be built in the next couple of years), academically strong. Has the edge in terms of extra-curricular provision, particularly music (if that's what interests you). More generous with scholarships than the other two.

Chigwell: Highest fees, good facilities (but no indoor swimming pool, some of the buildings a little down-at-heel), academically strong. Smaller than the other two and therefore feels like a real community, very warm and welcoming.

I think my favourite is Forest: the music department is an important factor for me, it's very close to where we live and .... just gut feeling, really. I like Chigwell; I feel I ought to rate Bancroft's the highest, but somehow I don't like the feel as much.
Bancroft's: Academically demanding. Probably best for those who want to achieve very good academic results.

Forest: Not quite as demanding as Bancroft's academically, but with a big emphasis on extra curricular activities, especially sport, drama and music. Boys taught separately from girls.

Chigwell: Can't comment as I know nothing about it.

Ultimately we concentrated on Forest as our son preferred it. He enjoys participating in sport which he is more likely to do at Forest as they have inter-house sports. He also is very interested in drama, and we felt that if he is happy then he would do well at either school, so the extra curricular opportunities at Forest swung it. He also wanted to go to Forest as they play football and don't play rugby! The fact we live near Forest is another factor as he can cycle to school.
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

Well done DD34 and arrgee1991. Bethany, I'm sure it's good news for you, too - rejections come in small envelopes!

We had fantastic news: DS got offered places at all three, and a 50% scholarship at Forest! He is delighted, we all are. Can't quite take it in.

Still waiting for Ilford County High results as well, of course - I don'tknow what I'll do if he gets in there. (Actually, I think I do. :wink: )
tubby

Post by tubby »

muffinmonster wrote:Well done DD34 and arrgee1991. Bethany, I'm sure it's good news for you, too - rejections come in small envelopes!

We had fantastic news: DS got offered places at all three, and a 50% scholarship at Forest! He is delighted, we all are. Can't quite take it in.

Still waiting for Ilford County High results as well, of course - I don'tknow what I'll do if he gets in there. (Actually, I think I do. :wink: )

Oooh well done you, and your son because you probably worked as hard too, and to all well done a big hug from me to all your DC :D
fatboyslim

Post by fatboyslim »

Hi everyone and congrats. My son got offers from all three, really ecstatic....waiting for 11+ results now!
He did veer towards Forest initially but now leaning towards Bancroft...don't know what to do!!
Did anyone have any handwritten messages on their letters?
Enjoy the decision making :P
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now