Redbridge Schools interviews (Bancroft, Chigwell, Forest)

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
muffinmonster

Re: Redbridge Schools interviews (Bancroft, Chigwell, Forest

Post by muffinmonster »

Thanks, Bethany, for your good wishes. I had a call late morning to let me know. The interview will be on Tuesday.

I am feeling completely hyper. I don't think I will sleep until Tuesday night!
dd34

Post by dd34 »

Well done to your children, you must be beaming and jumping for joy.

We've not heard anything as yet, scholarship was never in the equation for us. :)
wsc

Post by wsc »

muffinmonster wrote:So did we! :D

Are you applying for the Boys' or the Girls' School, wsc?
Girls school, and thanks everyone.
Nefertiti

Post by Nefertiti »

Hi Muffin Monster

Well done and I hope the interview went fine for your child. My son did not get selected for the interview at Forest. We are waiting for Bancroft next week and Grammar school results in March. Not too long of a wait anymore.

I called Forest and got some feedback. They can't give results but she said that he has done well enough to be considered for the fee paying place despite not finishing the comprehension paper. For parents who have opted for the fee paying they won't give the results until mid Feb (I suppose after they made the scholarship offers).
Competition is high and it included Prep kids too! Apparently over 340 children tried for Forest.

Nefertiti
dd34

Post by dd34 »

Hi Nefertiti,

It is nice that they gave you some feedback, Forest seem to be very helpful in my experience. It is a nervous wait now, seems to get more competitive year after year.
Nefertiti

Post by Nefertiti »

Hi DD34
Definetely more competitive, even Prep kids will try the scholarships too.
For us,Forest and Bancroft are back up schools in case he does not get his preferred two first choices (another school and KEGS). We could stretch to pay the full fees but in 7 years'time we might have to do the same for Uni. I might ship him to France to my sisters/parents after his A-Levels. It might be cheaper :D

Did your child try any of the schools' exams?

Nefertiti
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

Nefertiti wrote: For parents who have opted for the fee paying they won't give the results until mid Feb (I suppose after they made the scholarship offers).
Competition is high and it included Prep kids too! Apparently over 340 children tried for Forest.
Hi Nefertiti
Following yesterday's tests and interviews, my understanding is that they send all offers - including scholarship ones - on 17th Feb. So we are on tenterhooks until then.

DS enjoyed his session at Forest - interviews with the Headmaster and the heads of Maths and English, a verbal and non-verbal reasoning paper, and a tour of the school with two Year 9 scholars. He said the paper was very hard, and he didn't finish the verbal reasoning part but did manage to finish the NVR. Lots of very bright boys in the waiting room! They interview 25 for scholarships, so we are very proud that he made it this far.

Sounds like good news for you from Forest. I'm surprised that they were willing to tell you anything in advance of the offer date - that's really very nice.

DS sat Bancroft's exam on Saturday. Chigwell this weekend, and then we're done. Woohoo! :D
dd34

Post by dd34 »

Hi Nefertiti,

My daughter sat the grammers, Forest, Bancrofts and will be sitting Chigwell. After seeing the competition I am very nervous whether she will get a place anywhere. I wish I had more confidence, her strength is English and Maths weaker. I wish I had got her tutored for these subjects. We are now just hoping she gets a place in anyone of these schools. Roll on Sunday when its all over and we can all chill. :D
dd34

Post by dd34 »

Muffinmonster sounds like the interview went well. He's done very well to get to this stage and best of luck with the results and Chigwell.
Nefertiti

Post by Nefertiti »

Hi Muffinmonster,
well done and good luck. I did not know they had to go thru verbal/non verbal in the second stage. That's tough. I am sure yours will do fine. At least you only have to wait til 17 Feb to find out if he has a place in an indie. They said that 60 were shortlisted; not sure if thiswas for scholarship only or for overall intake. But she said some candidates apply to the other indies so they know that the numbers might go down in few weeks' time.

Hi DD34
Good luck to your daughter too. We have not done much preparation since last Grammar Exam in November as it was hard to get back to the same momentum. It has been so tiring not just for him. I am exhausted and can't wait til the last exam is over (15 Feb ). Like you we are hoping he gets a place to our main choices. Without a scholarship we can say bye bye to Forest and Bancroft. If I had to do it again, I would have got him some one to one tutoring (for verbal and comprehension)i/o in small group as the other children in his group were not doing 11Plus.

Anyway, it is too late to change what has been done, we can only pray now ...... :) . If he does not get his choice, I'll keep him on the waiting lists and see how it goes.

Bye
Nefertiti