Redbridge Schools interviews (Bancroft, Chigwell, Forest)

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
muffinmonster

Re: Redbridge Schools interviews (Bancroft, Chigwell, Forest

Post by muffinmonster »

Just called and asked about scholarship, but was told 'we don't give out that information'. :(
dd34

Post by dd34 »

Thats strange maybe depends on who you talk to and maybe the usual admissions person is back now. A couple of children at DD's school said they had scholarship interview too, puzzling. :?
Last edited by dd34 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billiebob

Post by billiebob »

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum...but what the heck we all have one thing in common at this moment in time; 11 plus results anxiety attack!

My DD has her interview this Saturday and I feel helpless! Sometimes I feel this waiting is better than knowing the outcome!

Fatboyslim - how did your DS interview go?
bethany

Post by bethany »

Oh well I think I am finally going crazy over all of this!!! But all this talk of scholarship interviews at Bancriofts had got me wondering! So I have just called up admissions too and they explained the process to me as this:

Apparently there are no specific scholarship interviews. They call in all candidates who have done well enough in the exam to merit an interview.

After the interview they look at all the elements - exam results, interview and head teacher's report from current school and make their decisions then.

She said to me that they felt it was too exclusive to pick out certain candidates for separate scholarship assessments, as they want to pick out the children that they feel will flourish at Bancrofts based on all the information that they have together.

So - it looks like we will have to wait and see on results day...

I think that possibly the interview technique and questions used are different for some candidates, as I have heard reports of some kids having a very quick, quite straightforward interview at Bancrofts, and others who were asked about more in-depth topics. Lots of different opinions and gossip around though that's for sure!!
dd34

Post by dd34 »

Thanks Bethany that clears it all up. Alot of playground talk going on at my DD's school then.

Billiebob welcome to the forum, feeling the same a bit helpless for the interviews not much we can do but sit and wait.

I'd much rather know one way or another and just get on with things but hey ho!!
billiebob

Post by billiebob »

Thanks dd34. Good luck to your DD this Saturday! :wink:

Hi Bethany, this is exactly what was explained when I called Bancroft's yesterday to inquire about the scholarship interview.

Then why was wsc's sister called in for a scholarship interview?
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

Hi billibebob and welcome to the forum. Good luck to your DD on Saturday. We will be there for interview as well.

Thanks for the explanation, Bethany. I too was told that everyone is interviewed in the same way, and it makes sense that they would wait until they have all the information about candidates before deciding about scholarships. There are stories floating around our primary as well about children who have had scholarship interviews, but it's easy for people to get the wrong end of the stick. A parent congratulated me today on DS's supposed scholarship for Forest - he mentioned his interview there to a friend and obviously the story has been upgraded somewhere along the line!

wsc is a former Bancroft's pupil, I think, so maybe the admissions office were more forthcoming to her.

Feb 17th seems so far away, and then we have to wait until 1st March to hear about Ilford County High. Aargh!
bethany

Post by bethany »

I hope everyone's interviews at Bancrofts went well today?

Did anyone get the golden call from Chigwell, inviting their child back for the scholarship interviews??

I couldn't stand the waiting any more and so emailed admissions yesterday. Apparently DD just missed being called back by a few places. :x But still very proud that she has done so well. My fingers are extra-crossed for an offer after that feedback, but you never know til that letters in your hand..

Less than two weeks to go now...
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

Hi Bethany. Today's interview went fine, thanks. DS came out looking quite pleased with himself (but then he always does!). They were interviewed in pairs, and each child was asked to introduce him- or herself. Then they were asked to collaborate on a task (in DS's case, estimating the number of leaves on a tree that they could see from the window). Apparently that was all, so not a very probing interview (or DS's recall is only partial - quite possible).

No call from Chigwell, alas, and clearly from what you say the scholarship candidates have already heard. Happily DS seems to have forgotten all about it, and now I will have to do the same. Well done to your DD - sounds very promising.
wsc

Post by wsc »

Mmm... no Chigwell call, that was our #1 choice.
Oh well - good luck to everyone.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now