Habs Girls

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dduck

Habs Girls

Post by dduck »

Does anyone know what percentage the girls need on the papers to get in? My daughter sat the exam yesterday and found the maths tricky - and she usually scores 95%+ in NLCS papers - did any of your daughters echo her sentiments or did mine simply panic on the day? Worried mum.
11plusparent

Re: Habs Girls

Post by 11plusparent »

Hi, I don't know the percentages but my daughter also said she left 2 questions out in part B...
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Hello Dduck, Nobody can quote you a mark that will secure you a place at any school that selects pupils from entrance exams because it is all down to how the candidates do on the paper that is set and that is impossible to predict. Some years a certain mark will get you in and the same mark will put you well down the wiating list a year later. The issue for you is how many other girls also found the Habs maths paper hard beause that is what will determine the pass mark. When my dd sat Habs on Wed she thought it was the hardest maths paper she had sat so far and she has sat DAO, HBS, Clement Danes, St Albans. But she then sat City of London School for girls on Friday and thought that was even harder! But I would predict that any girl who is on top of the KS2 topics and has been doing 11+ papers should be able to gain an intervew and then offer at Habs. My elder dd got an offer last year. Did your dd manage to answer all the questions? DG
dduck

Post by dduck »

Thank you Daogroupie. I'm sorry to be a pain but can you remember how long they took to get the interview letters out. I'm beginning to worry - but the exam was only on Wed. I never knew how stressful this process was and it's so silly - people with sick kids etc must think I'm pathetic.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Not silly at all dduck, in fact you are being a great mother by focusing on one of the most important things you will ever do in your dd's life, helping her achieve a place at a great school. I was just the same last year, in fact I achieved nothing at all in my own life between September and March, probably went backwards. I am sure I was the complete laughing stock at my primary school. What school your dd goes to for the next seven years will greatly impact who she is and I can't imagine anything more important. I never wanted anything so very badly for so very long as I wanted my dd to go to DAO. We are not used to wanting things badly that we can't controi so it sits hard on us. When we got DAO and another mother who we hardly know did not get her ds into the school they wanted, she completely lost her head and yelled at me. But I did not take it personally (though I thought then and still think that she owes me a major apology) because the pain of having failed her son was etched all over her face. I felt guilty because I knew it could so easily have been me. So don't feel bad about worrying, the forum is stuffed full of jumpy mothers watching the post and the phone at this time. I expect to hear from Habs this week. I got an email last year as they got behind because of the snow. I have not yet heard from St Albans and we sat that exam the previous Friday but I know other schools from that day have already started offering interview dates. I did comment in another thread that I thought numbers were high this year at Habs so they may still be working their way though the papers. I really hope you hear soon with an interview date. Did you sit any others? Best Wishes DG
dduck

Post by dduck »

Thanks for your kind words Daogroupie - I feel a whole lot better. She answered all the questions but there is one in section B that she had no idea about but she does think she got 5 - 6 of the 8 right. Yes she sat DAO, St. Albans and CoL. Not heard from them either but Habs is her 1st choice and I really mean her 1st choice. She walked into the school on open day and said "This is my school" I guess that's why I'm so worried because I know how badly she wants it.
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

My daughter got the letter from St Albans on Tuesday. I hope that you got one too. Still waiting on Habs.

She found the Habs exams ok although other girls in her group found it difficult. Elsewhere my wife heard another group going on about how easy it was. Oh well. The Habs letters should be out in the next few days. Good luck.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now