North London Consortium Group 2 exams - 14 Jan 2011

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rnch

North London Consortium Group 2 exams - 14 Jan 2011

Post by rnch »

Just wondering if the maths and english this year were really that much harder than the group 1. My DD couldn't finish the maths and had to guess quite a few. The English however seemed easier that the Group 1 english paper which she found harder.
Guess not much we can do now but to wait for interview callbacks....hopefully
Daogroupie

Re: North London Consortium Group 2 exams - 14 Jan 2011

Post by Daogroupie »

Hello, My dd thought Habs maths was bad on the Wednesday but thought the Maths at City was even worse so it does sound like it was hard. There were girls crying outside City , but then there were also girls crying outside last year so maybe the type of girl who sits is more liable to tears! It does mean that if everyone found it hard the pass mark will be lower which is good news. City will also take into account the computer test that they sat in November if the Maths and English marks are low. Did you sit at City? DG
bethany

Post by bethany »

I'm trying to suss out how things went too ie were the papers hard/ easy/ same as other years/ schools etc.

Each child seems to have a different spin on it, for example my DD thought that the Maths at City was easy and the English hard.

I'm not sure how much I can rely on her interpretation of how things went though as it is really hard for them to self-assess how they have done - particularly with English I think that my DD usually thinks that she has done ok, just by putting an answer down and sometimes she's right and sometimes she's wrong! Or maybe that's just us?? :?

That's what I'm finding so frustrating about the waiting - I really have no clue which way the results are going to go!! :? :?
rnch

Post by rnch »

Daogroupie, we applied to City but did not sit there purely for logistical reasons. But you are right, they should factor in the computer tests so some hope there.

Bethany, in comparison with the HBS papers, we found Group 2 consortium maths and the HBS maths equally difficult, both incomplete with some guesses. For English, my Dd found Group 1 to be harder than the others.

I guess all schools will have their own benchmark is assessing their passing grade which we won't know and we'll have to wait and see how it all pans out.
Brrrrrmum

Post by Brrrrrmum »

My dd sat the consortium 2 exam at City on Friday also. She said maths much more difficult than Consortium 1!!
Luckily we managed to escape before we witnessed girls crying.. how awful!
(first ever post!!)
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Welcome to the forum Brrrrrmum. (How will you remember exactly how many Rs you will need?)
Brrrrrmum

Post by Brrrrrmum »

Thanks Ed's mum... I did it without thinking and then had to count them! :lol: :lol:
picasso

Post by picasso »

Hi All,

DD sat group 2 at Channing on Friday and said it was easier than the group 1 exam. Didn't see anyone in tears at Channing. Anyway, this is the second time around for me having gone through this procedure once before with my eldest. Seems to be a lot more competitive this time round which makes me worry as my little one is certainly not at the top end of the scale academically. Getting really anxious now that we're not going to get a place anywhere!

We have applied to independent schools across the board and have a few safe options in there but still worried. Local state school not an option as its so dire.

DD has interview with Channing, does anyone know what they ask and expect of girls in interview? I know they interview parents as well, any info really appreciated. Looking at Queens also. Does anyone have any experience of these schools?
rnch

Post by rnch »

Afraid can't really help with previous experience but we have our Channing interview tomorrow morning. I suppose I could draw up lists of topics that they could possibly interview her on but I think we have just about run out of steam. Also don't want her to come across as "prepped" so will breeze through a quick round of BBC Newsround before bedtime for a catchup on current news.
Sue123

Post by Sue123 »

I am afraid that I can't help with interview tips as girls were interviewed in pairs, without parents, when we applied - but I do want to say that Channing is a lovely school, my daughter is very happy there and I wish you and your daughters the very best of luck!

I am happy to answer more specific questions on Channing, to the extent that I can, if anyone is trying to make a decisions between offers from different schools!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now