St Pauls Offers

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Daogroupie

Re: St Pauls Offers

Post by Daogroupie »

In my opinion the London selectives are harder to get into than the top London indies. We know several families who turned down scholarships and bursaries at Habs and St Albans boys to go to DAO and we know someone who turned down a Maths and Music Scholarship at NLC and a Music Scholarship at Habs to go to DAO. We also know someone who turned down a 100% bursary at St Albans to go to DAO so it is not just a money thing. It is also a choice about starting the real journey in life earlier rather than later, not for everyone at this point for a variety of reasons, but a choice all the same. DG
docklands

Post by docklands »

sorry for silly questions, what is DAO?
Josa

Post by Josa »

Dame Alice Owens
sgcmum

Post by sgcmum »

Dame Alice Owens in hertfordshire.
stressedparent

Re: St PAULS OFFERS

Post by stressedparent »

sgcmum wrote:Hi Hopeforthebest,

I think i get it.some of the really hard to get into indies in london are way better than grammar schools.and different skill sets are required to get into indies and grammar.some kids have all of those and some don't.
as a parent who has to choose between the two(hopefully) could you please shed some light on the 'they are more concerned about the journey through education than the outcome' bit.
iam keen to know the difference between top indies in london and the top superselectives in london in this (journey thru education) respect.
anyone else with inputs please,your thoughts as well.

sgcmum.
Hi, nice to hear you are still around, my elder DD who is in year 11 in Tiffin Girls' should be in a good position to advice on this matter. She has attended LEH from age 7 to 11, sat the 11 plus test in LEH where she has passed the test and was offered a place. We have turned down LEH offer and chose Tiffin Girls' instead, she has enjoyed her time at LEH immensely but also extremely happy at Tiffin Girls’ and feels that she had made the right choice. Tiffin Girls' outperformed LEH in both GCSE and a level results in the last two years and of course it is free. I don’t think you need to be a statistion to do the maths in our case. It is either we pay £15000 year or get free sound education. Good luck to you whatever choice you make.
stressedparent
sgcmum

Post by sgcmum »

hi stressedparent,
yes, very much around.we are thinking along the same lines i.e 'we pay £15000 year or get free sound education'.tending towards grammar.good to know your elder dd has enjoyed tiffins as i got the feeling (from their open day and style of communication) that they might be overly strict.
it does,i must confess,confuse me and pique my curiosity when i hear that grammars and indies are 'chalk and cheese'.i would really love to know the difference as i did not notice any difference in the kids who showed us around.they all seemed bright,happy and satisfied with their school.or in the quality of work on display.hence my query on 'the journey' bit.
oh yes,the carpets were lusher and the auditoriums(or is it auditoria)grander in the indies.
stressedparent

Post by stressedparent »

sgcmum wrote:hi stressedparent,
yes, very much around.we are thinking along the same lines i.e 'we pay £15000 year or get free sound education'.tending towards grammar.good to know your elder dd has enjoyed tiffins as i got the feeling (from their open
It is your DD preferences that matter most with a bit of parental guidance on the way. My daughter adjusted very well when we moved from the independent sector into the state sector, it was literally a breeze. When you are in a super selective, money does not matter, regardless of your background, no snobbery and all what goes with it. They are all there on merit and they are there for only one reason, education. If you get into a super selective, you most likely will not have problems provided your child could cope with the pace. Which schools are you aiming for? I know your DD sat Nonsuch, Langley and Kendrick. We have also sat Nonesuch, St Bernard, Kendrick and Tiffin’s. I did not like the feel of the atmosphere in Langley specially the head teacher, it did not feel sincere enough, so we have opted against Langley in the end and settled for St Bernard. I wish you all the best on whatever choice you make.
stressedparent
sgcmum

Post by sgcmum »

stressedparent,
henrietta barnet,tiffins,kendrick,wallington,langley.nlcs,habs girls and northwood college in the independent sector.
sgcmum.
stressedparent

Post by stressedparent »

sgcmum wrote:stressedparent,
henrietta barnet,tiffins,kendrick,wallington,langley.nlcs,habs girls and northwood college in the independent sector.
sgcmum.
That is a very good choice, our preferences are as follows; Tiffins, Nonsuch, Kendrick and St Bernard. I hope we get one of them. So far she has passed Nonsuch and St Bernard. Are you centrally located for all your options? or are you thinking of relocation? The geographic spread seems very vast.
stressedparent
sgcmum

Post by sgcmum »

definite relocation.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now