Habs music auditions

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Pushy Dad

Habs music auditions

Post by Pushy Dad »

We got the letter inviting my son to audition at Habs Boys this morning. The slot is Monday morning so they haven't exactly given us much notice.

Anyone else going for a music scholarship?
Daogroupie

Re: Habs music auditions

Post by Daogroupie »

We did the Habs girls music scholarship last year and are hoping to get a slot again this year for younger dd. Happy to tell you all about that if you think it might help. pm me. DG
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

Hi DG

My daughter has got a slot this coming Saturday. I hope that yours has secured a slot as well.

Mine did the St Albans Girls one a few weeks ago so she has an idea as to what too expect. Its a pity that the schools don't allow spectators since I'm curious about the competition.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I did make some progress with this last year but will need to pm you the details as they are not suitable for a public forum! DG
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

DG - I'm baffled. I can see the point of getting DD2 to do the exams even though she doesn't need to, but surely going for the music auditions is a step too far? ;-)
zorro

Post by zorro »

Me too!
The whole process is tortuous and stressful,why put yourself and DD through it if it's not neccessary?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

In my opinion dd2 has a hard job being the younger dd of a golden all rounder. I would hate to be in her shoes. Last year they walked together into school through the same door and then into adjoining classrooms, but dd1's report said always arrives on time and dd2's said mostly???? Perception is a powerful thing. For our family dynamics it was absolutely the right thing for dd2 that she got to make her own journey, and Tense and mw55pz seem to be making the same choices. To see her face when she opened her first offer last week that was hers alone and owed nothing to dd1 was confirmation that it was worth doing. Dd2 has grown in confidence during the process and dd1 has lived in fear that she will beat her in something! For those of you who have siblings who are broadly the same I can understand if it seems a waste of time but for those of you who have ones that live under the shadow you probably have more sympathy. There is also the issue of what she would be doing at school if she was not at exams and interviews. As she is already at 5A the school has refocused on those with sats marks that can be improved. She has been much better off doing 11+ papers that can challenge her. On music, auditions and exams are great motivators for both dd's and has helped their progress greatly. But this as well is not for everyone. My dd's have learnt with friends who have parents who don't believe in doing any exams. And apart from the DAO exam not a single child in dd2's year at school apart from her has sat any entrance exam and the same was true for dd1 last year. So we are qute used to being in the minority on these things! DG
zorro

Post by zorro »

But are you going to accept the offer? Because if not, that could have been offered to someone who was desperate for it.
Surely your DD2 will have a chance to excel at DAO if she goes there (have I got the wrong end of the stick that she will be getting in on sibling criteria?)
I have two DC, DD has learning difficulties and goes to a special school and DS who is at an indie, doing so well that he was offered an academic scholarship at the end of Y8. They are obviously at completely the opposite ends of the academic spectrum but we would never dream of comparing them. They are both special in their own way and we celebrate that. Maybe if your DD2 didn't think she was being compared unfavourably to her older sister, she would feel less under pressure to perform well.
As to 'what she would be doing at school if she was not at exams and interviews'- I am speechless! :lol: :shock: :lol: :roll: