References - school entered incorrect SATS

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

References - school entered incorrect SATS

Post by Guest »

Help. Eldest daughter currently going through selection process for independant secondaries in North West. She's currently at State primary. We had an interview last week and at the end the head made the throwaway comment that my daughter's sats levels of 4c at end of yr 5 would definitately be at least 4as by yr 6. Problem is, daughter achieved all 4bs or 5s at end of year 5!!!

Have spoken to her current head, who shrugged & suggested not much difference :o . Spoke to teacher who wrote report. It is her first year teaching yr6. Very anti independant schools. She said she had decided what level child was 'guaranteed' to get in sats, and then taken 2 levels off :evil: Obviously, if child goes up 3 levels this will all be down to her fabulous teaching!

How do I point this out to the schools she is interviewed out, without sounding like a pushy parent? The school she really wants is interviewing on Friday and I'm worried that they will think she is less capable than she really is, based on this report.

Any help please.

Post by Guest »

I think you really need not worry too much about this. I take it your child did well in the entrance tests prior to an interview request. Interviews are primarily a chance for the school to gauge a child's character, interests, social awareness etc. If the school mentions it then clarify... in brief. I'm sure your child will shine on the day and things will be fine.

All the best.

Post by Guest »

I'd be hopping mad if I knew the primary school had understated Yr 5 Sats. It's a competitive system, so the last thing one wants is really good results (which yours are) to be unknown to the secondary. If the question they were asked was a predicition for KS3 that's one thing, but if it was an actual level for Yr5 tests and they did it incorrectly, that's another. I do agree that if everything went brilliantly in tests and interviews it may not be a big deal, but who knows. May depend just how academically selective the school is. It puts you in a difficult position, because if it were me I'd also be unsure how to approach the school without seeming pushy.

I wonder if a low key call or email to the registrar/admissions officer along the lines of: just dawned on me that the school and incorrectly stated the Yr 5 results as X; actually they were Y; possibly not relevant, but thought you should be aware; can ask school to confirm if you would like.

If you're going to do anything, though, you may need to do it quite soon as I suspect they have meeting to finalise offers etc in the next week or so.
white

Post by white »

I myself wonder about the report given by state schools. Why would they want to give the children a reference that would not exacly help, to a school that they know would look at the top children.
:twisted:

If the child is capable of getting into an independent why not try and help them rather than sending references that would not help at all!

By the way can these schools refuse to give you a copy of the report they sent?

white

Post by white »

I myself wonder about the report given by state schools. Why would they want to give the children a reference that would not exactly help, to a school that they know would look at the top children.
:twisted:

If the child is capable of getting into an independent why not try and help them rather than sending references that would not help at all!

By the way can these schools refuse to give you a copy of the report they sent?

Post by Guest »

Thanks for all your replies. We have now done all 3 interviews. I went to the last 2 armed with a copy of her report from last year, but in both interviews it was obvious that they paid more attention to the entrance exam than the reference, and in both cases she performed well on the entrance (little star :lol: ) I decided in the end to ignore the sats issue. The school she really wants gave us a strong hint that she will be offered a place, and the other one said she was well above the required pass mark so wouldn't have any problems (that was the most academic school)

Just have to wait until 2nd March now & see whether she gets any offers.

Thanks for all your help, it was good to have a rant anyway!
WHITE

WHAT SCHOOL

Post by WHITE »

Tell your daughter well done - by the way whats schools were they?

Post by Guest »

I did say you need not worry about it, she had obviously done well to have been granted an interview. I'm sure the outcome will be as hoped. Let us know in March!!!

Post by Guest »

She applied to AESG, Kings and Stockport Grammar. I'm not going to comment on preferences until after MArch - you never know who's reading :D

Post by Guest »

Hi, to anybody who is interested, my daughter got offers at all three of the schools she applied to, even the one I thought was the most difficult :lol: We now have to go through the decisions before picking the school. I suspect she will go to the one she fell in love with though - still, a nice position to be in!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now