habs

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
habs1

habs

Post by habs1 »

anyone out there know if they stream kids from year 7 at habs

i dont seem to understand it, how come some state school (qe/latymer) beat them at the league tables

is it mainly the facilities and good surrounding that people go for

Post by Guest »

I think the league table thing may be nit picking. It all goes around. One year they are top the next they are not. It is an extremely good school at bringing everyone up. It did very well in the oxbridge stakes this year I believe. A third of this student year got in. They are plainly, all three top notch.. get anyone and you're laughing. Perhaps it is that in the private sector there is more money for coaching to entrance exam. Therefore real ability is not really clear at that stage. My child got in from the waiting list by the skin of his teeth having had no coaching. I was worried that meant he might struggle. As it was he left school a prize winner, one of the very top in his year.

Post by Guest »

I can't remember re the streaming.. what I do remember is that A was still the common grade for bottom set maths.
hermanmunster

Re: habs

Post by hermanmunster »

habs1 wrote: i dont seem to understand it, how come some state school (qe/latymer) beat them at the league tables
perhaps money doesn't always go with brains!!!! :wink:

Post by Guest »

Did anyone think it did? Be fair, there are enough people getting their prefered places in the state schools mentioned that are not without a bob or two and spent said bob to help little johnny out.

Post by Guest »

I remember reading on the HABS website that their position in the league tables has been affected this year by them entering students for IGCE which doesn't count in the tables. Also bear in mind that it's harder to get into QE/Latymer as they are choosing 180 from around 1600 applicants. None of the independents gets as many applicants as this. It's probably fair to say that the intake into QE/Latymer is, on the whole, of higher quality than that taken into the independents.

When we applied to Habs some 3 years ago now, they did not stream in Year 7 as it was felt unnecessary given that they had already selected the top applicants. I think this is also true of many of the independent schools and also is the case at Henrietta Barnett.
habs1

Post by habs1 »

thanksall
seem from above if offered qe/latymer then no point aplpying for habs

but is still fantastic school with all those facilitues
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now