Is it too late to apply for a place at independent school?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doingmybest

Re: Is it too late to apply for a place at independent schoo

Post by doingmybest »

Radnor House is being pitched as an alternative to those who just missed out on a place at Hampton. Historically, KGS, Reeds, St James as was, St Georges and Halliford were backups, but parents are being told that Radnor will be a better option.
The advice is that it intends to be set up and run on similar lines to Latymer (I don't know the school, but it has a great rep). For a local comparison I expect it will be similar intake to KGS in a nicer setting (backs onto Thames - very pretty). Parents who were going to register with KGS as a backup are now starting to look at Radnor instead. If you look at its location, and the shortage of school places in the area, and the excess of wealth, it should do very well. Remember, St James didn't close down it relocated so it could expand.
Hope this helps.
veryworriedmum

Post by veryworriedmum »

Hi! Thank you so much everyone for all the advice and suggestions! Just spoke to a couple of schools and they showed interest, took my contact details to get in touch with me.....so hoping for the best!!! :)

Thanks once again
veryworriedmum
pepys

Post by pepys »

Going to look at Radnor this weekend with DH and DS's in tow. Has anybody's DC taken the entrance exam. I understand offers are being sent out for Sept entry, but that some years still have places available.
veryworriedmum

Post by veryworriedmum »

Hi Pepys! Have u been to the school V r going on the 26th this Saturday for the 11plus entry I know that they have English maths VR and NVR. What's ur ds year group? Are u applying for a place for entry into year 7 for sept 2011 like us? V r waiting for the offer on the 1st of March and wud take the decision after this offer is being made! Presently I'm not giving him any practice papers coz this is his break after a long time.....I mean after giving exams in different grammar schools.....anyways good luck to u and ur ds-----veryworriemum
pepys

Post by pepys »

Am going for a 2nd visit. DH has not seen it as yet. DS2 would be entering year 8 this September, was high on the waiting list for Whitgift last year but they never opened the waiting list. Trinity has a bulge class for his year as has St Georges - he is on waiting list for SG after doing year 9 pre test in Jan, City of London Freemans has places but just for girls in September as they have an imbalance and Kingston Grammar sent back all the registration cheques for their pretest for year 9 entry 2012 as they also 'over offered' at 11+ entry last year.......... So I am running out of options for nice schools. He is by no means bottom of the class, he is just not grammar school bright. Unfortunately his English writing skills are about the weakest of his subjects. DS1 got into Whitgift on a scholarship and his general subjects are not usually as good as DS2 results at the same age. His English is better though. I liked Radnor but they don't offer Latin like most of the academic schools and DS is actually quite good at it. Anyways we will see we what DH and Ds's think on Saturday. Is yours sitting the Radnor house exam on Saturday? I wonder how many offers they have made already.
veryworriedmum

Post by veryworriedmum »

Hi Pepys!

Seems like you and ur ds have been through a lot! The scenario is really bad bcoz of current downfall in the economy! I do hope things work out for ur ds and he gets into a good school. We are attending the open morning at Randor house on this Saturday and this is our first time! Hoping for the best.... Thanks for posting and do keep in touch
Good luck and best wishes for the future!
Veryworriedmum
veryworriedmum

Post by veryworriedmum »

Hi Pepys!

I was wondering whats the entrance exam like at Whitgift? I tried to look on their website but couldn't find the relevant info. Also what's the required score for scholarship? Could u please let me know?
Thanks once again
Veryworriedmum
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Dear veryworriedmum,

I really don't want to add to your troubles and I think you have every reason to be hopeful of securing a school with a late application. However, I do think that it will be extremely difficult to secure a scholarship or bursary at this late stage because schools are very likely to have used up the budget already.

I'm certainly not saying it is impossible but you should keep it in mind.

My best wishes with your search.
pepys

Post by pepys »

DS has been offered and will accepting a place at Radnor House. He is excited at the prospect of being part of a new school. Will let the forum know what we think of it as he progresses through next year. Fingers crossed for an excellent and happy education!
veryworriedmum

Post by veryworriedmum »

Hi Pepys,

Thats great news! V had been to the school as well....liked it a lot!! V have been offered a place at Grammar School! But still thinking about Radnor House....time for tough decisions to be made! But glad to know that you are accepting the offer at Radnor! Good luck to you and ur ds!

Best Wishes
veryworriedmum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now