Independent School or save for university fees

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Pushy Dad

Re: Independent School or save for university fees

Post by Pushy Dad »

'Get divorced' 'save money' is this what they call an oxymoron :D

We won't know about our grammar school choice until 6pm tonight but that probably won't have an impact on our decision. Recently, Plan B (sitting for Habs just in case we don't get state grammar) seems to have become Plan A where Mrs Pushy Dad is concerned.
arrgee1991

Post by arrgee1991 »

Pushy Dad wrote:One of my previous bosses went on about how middle class parents should stay in the state system and fight to improve the schools as opposed to bailing out and going private.
Anyone who says that should have their children attend the lowest performing school in their area and do just that. The problem is that parents have little influence these days. The national curriculum and league tables dictate the behaviour of head teachers.

The middle classes who stay in the state sector pay over the odds for houses in the right areas. Probably far more than school fees. Will be interesting to see the outrage if fair banding is introduced nationally.

Independent schools will continue to thrive as the government drives more parents/children out of the state sector. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the free schools eventually become de-facto independents charging top up fees. After all, that's what has happened to university in the last ten years.
Last edited by arrgee1991 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arrgee1991

Post by arrgee1991 »

joop wrote:Will think about uni fees in seven years time ! You never know, might get divorced to save some money : :lol:
I reckon by paying school fees we are more likely to remain married. Couldn't possibly afford a divorce on top of that!

PS I love my wife very much and this is only a joke.
PPS I know she reads my posts!
arrgee1991

Post by arrgee1991 »

Pushy Dad wrote:Recently, Plan B (sitting for Habs just in case we don't get state grammar) seems to have become Plan A where Mrs Pushy Dad is concerned.
Funny how that happens. Independent schools weren't even on the agenda 18 months ago for us, but now it is our first choice. Given the odds are against us in getting into either of the state schools we have selected due to distance, we have considered it Plan A for the last six months.
mad?

Post by mad? »

arrgee1991 wrote:
Pushy Dad wrote:Recently, Plan B (sitting for Habs just in case we don't get state grammar) seems to have become Plan A where Mrs Pushy Dad is concerned.
Funny how that happens. Independent schools weren't even on the agenda 18 months ago for us, but now it is our first choice. Given the odds are against us in getting into either of the state schools we have selected due to distance, we have considered it Plan A for the last six months.
That's what happened to us as well. When it came to the choice we just could not face sending DD on what we considered to be a ridiculous journey to the grammar she got allocated, but originally indies had only been a worst case option. Funny how they 'lure' you in. :D
mad?
joop

Post by joop »

'Get divorced' 'save money'

Yes this is what is described as a serious joke!
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

arrgee1991 wrote: Our previously very good primary had a change in head about four years ago. Once we had a caring enthusiastic head, now most of the decent teachers have gone.
:lol: :lol: arrgee, I think I know where your DS is at school! I agree with you about the grammar, by the way.
Last edited by muffinmonster on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
arrgee1991

Post by arrgee1991 »

muffinmonster wrote::lol: :lol: arrgee, I think I know where your DS is at school! I agree with you about the grammar, by the way.
A number of urban schools have had a decline in standards in recent years as staff move out to get a better standard of living.
Last edited by arrgee1991 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
11plusparent

Post by 11plusparent »

We've got the same problem, can anyone advise:

Henrietta Barnett vs North London Collegiate

I know my dd will be expected to perform well academically in either school. HBS is obviously free. But do you think NLCS will give my dd a better 'experience' as compared to HBS just because it is private? I want to choose HBS but I just want to make sure Ive thought of everything.

What benefits will a private school have over HBS if any?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

11plusparent wrote:We've got the same problem, can anyone advise:

Henrietta Barnett vs North London Collegiate

I know my dd will be expected to perform well academically in either school. HBS is obviously free. But do you think NLCS will give my dd a better 'experience' as compared to HBS just because it is private? I want to choose HBS but I just want to make sure Ive thought of everything.

What benefits will a private school have over HBS if any?
tricky one that - my only experience of HBS was a friend who went (very bright friend) - she really rated it. Can't think that NLCS is that much better and of course will cost you a lot - money that can be used elsewhere. Of course if you have lots spare then that is fine, but even if you have you can never be sure what the future brings over jobs etc and it is discouraging having to move children from one school to another.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now