Would you pretend your child has been accepted to a school

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JGBallard

Would you pretend your child has been accepted to a school

Post by JGBallard »

Just wondering , with all pressure and competition surrounding the exams etc..would you actually lie and say your child got in when they didn't? I think this has happened at my DD's school . Initially child said she didn't get in and now saying she did. I know it's competitive out there but could it really lead to this? I think parent just waiting for other results to come out and hope people forget about the pretend offer.
Snowdrops

Re: Would you pretend your child has been accepted to a scho

Post by Snowdrops »

Or perhaps the child didn't get in at first and was placed on a waiting list. Someone who was offered a place then turned it down and the child on the waiting list was then offered the vacancy - it happens quite often. (and this is assuming offers have already been made and some accepted/refused).
JGBallard

Post by JGBallard »

I too would have thought this a possibility but the child/parent said they didnt get in (on the Sat) and then on the Mondary said they did.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Perhaps they didn't understand the letter :oops:
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Your post says the child is now saying she has got a place. At the end of the day this child is only 10 so I don't think we should make judgements on her behaviour at such a difficult time.
JGBallard

Post by JGBallard »

Please don't get me wrong...I am not in any way judging the child. Of course I understand what a stressful time this is for all children and parents going through the process. In a way I can understand why someone might do this however I feel it is such a shame that it can lead to this. They are just 10 after all! I do feel it can bother parents more than the children..sometimes parents feel embarassed at school gates etc. Just still feel it is a shame if this indeed was the case, no one is in a positin to judge other people and their children.
pist

Post by pist »

I think it could possibly be necessary to lie to the child (and thus to everyone else) in order not to break their confidence and then gently manipulate the child to "choose" a different school. The hideous thing about these entrance exams is, I feel, that a child can at such a young age be made to feel "not good enough" - so yes, one might have to lie.

In this situation though, there is a possibility that a school phoned and offered a place, somebody else had already turned down. It is my impression, that many schools operate v swiftly when offering waitinglist places, as those on the waitinglists may of course be accepting offers from other schools and don't necessarily want to jump ship once deposits are paid.
Last edited by pist on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
mad?

Post by mad? »

JGBallard wrote:Just wondering , with all pressure and competition surrounding the exams etc..would you actually lie and say your child got in when they didn't? I think this has happened at my DD's school . Initially child said she didn't get in and now saying she did. I know it's competitive out there but could it really lead to this? I think parent just waiting for other results to come out and hope people forget about the pretend offer.
Personally I would not...but then I did not have to :D . However, but I would have no problem with someone who did and, like other posters can think of many reason why they might. To see the look of shock on some interfering busy body's face would be pretty high up there on mine. :wink: It is, after all, none of anyone else's business... :D
mad?
catonhottinroof

Post by catonhottinroof »

You could pretend to everyone, buy the uniform, turn up on the first day and just hope nobody notices there's one extra in the class... now there's a plan.
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

This actually happened some years ago - child showed up in full uniform, got through 3 days with no one noticing she was not on list. When parents were hauled in, they said 'You can't take her away now,she's made friends. She belongs here.'

Poor child.