Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:57 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:54 am
Posts: 299
What is the the total household income beyond which any parent may not be eligible for means-tested scholarship/bursary , I know it varies from school to school

but what are the general guidelines or please share your ideas about the schools that you are aware especially for london/berkshire schools


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:57 pm
Posts: 1446
Some full boarding schools offer 50% bursaries on a single salary of £90k but this will be less on a joint income of £90k because of differing tax threshold.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:28 pm
Posts: 2439
That surprises me. I would have assumed you need a much lower income to be offered a bursary.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:57 pm
Posts: 1446
£90k in April 2011 is just under £58k after tax so it would be difficult for most families on that income to afford a £30k boarding school. Other factors such as number of kids and if they are in private education are often factored in too. I remember one of the bursaries we were given was crudely based on taking our income, deduct 70% and if the remainder 30% covered school fees then no bursary would be offered. We had no assets so that wasn't taken into account.

To the OP, every school has a different policy.

EDIT: I should add that the £90k scenario was a friends, not ours! :lol:


Last edited by Waiting_For_Godot on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:29 pm
Posts: 13
Location: London
Full boarding schools generally tend to be more pricer so I can understand why income can be higher but I think with the City of London girls school,the maximum parental income can be £50,000 for a 25% bursary.

Contacting the schools you're interested in directly will give you better figures and there might also be scholarships avaliable as well that can be used in conjunction with bursaries.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:28 pm
Posts: 2439
Thanks for the reply.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016