Habs, MT or QE - decisions, decisions...

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Habs, MT or QE

Poll ended at Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:18 pm

Habs
14%
MT
34%
QE
52%

Total votes: 29

mad?

Re: Habs, MT or QE - decisions, decisions...

Post by mad? »

yogkruti wrote: just thinking how we might utilise the *** GBP per month better on personal coaching/tuition while going to a Grammar school instead.
Hmmm...bit confused as to why you would want to do this? As you commented elsewhere your DS is 'really rather good' so what makes you think he will struggle so much as to need personal coaching/tuition?
mad?
yogkruti

Post by yogkruti »

mad? wrote:
yogkruti wrote: just thinking how we might utilise the *** GBP per month better on personal coaching/tuition while going to a Grammar school instead.
Hmmm...bit confused as to why you would want to do this? As you commented elsewhere your DS is 'really rather good' so what makes you think he will struggle so much as to need personal coaching/tuition?
I was thinking more in terms of extra curricular activities... as I don't think there would be much difference in "pure" academics between the Indies and top state grammar schools (assuming he gets into one!)...
panda

Post by panda »

Congratulations to all the boys who received offers and scholarships.

My son got offers and academic scholarship as well.

I thank the posters on the forums and agree with some views on this forum in particular.

It seems there are more scholarships being handed out but the value has been decreasing over the years. The scholarship award seems pointless if it does not offer above 25%.

Unfortunately we cannot apply for bursary. Hoping for more luck on 1st March.
CoolMum5

Post by CoolMum5 »

Just a quick question. Should we have received a letter from MT today? Do they post both offers/rejections at the same time? We have received an offer from Habs, which we are very pleased with, by the way...
panickymum

Post by panickymum »

Coolmum if you don't receive letter from MT tomorrow I will suggest you give them a call on Monday. Some of my known people have got the information by directly calling school. They did not get the letter but school confirmed they have a place. Good Luck
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

yesaar wrote:More than 50%

Last year, one of the boys got a 50% offer (bursary / scholarship) from Habs and an offer from QE as well. He chose Habs. His teachers felt that he should have chosen QE..
Don't go as per Teacher's suggestions and go as per your expectations and as per your financial situation, it is my suggestion anyway.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Two points:
1. Shouldn't you wait until you get the offer from QE before posting this question?
2. Why sit for the entrance exam for indies if you think you might not be able to afford the fees long term? And yes- there are a lot of 'extras', school trips, transport, music lessons etc etc.
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

Zorro - There is a difference between 'not being able to afford the fees' and not being able to afford the fees :D

I'm guessing that the original poster is like us in that we working parents who can afford the fees for 7 years but it will be at the expense of foreign holidays/new car etc. Whether we want to make that commitment is something we haven't decided on yet.

Early on we decided that it was pointless having such a discussion when we didn't know how they would measure up against up prep school kids. Luckily our son has got a scholarship offer from Habs boys and we are now waiting to hear later on today whether we got our 1st state school choice (Parmiters) and tomorrow we'll see if the other twin gets Habs Girls and whether she too will get a scholarship.

It would be nice to be one of those parents whose decision isn't affected by something as disgusting as money :D
yesaar

Post by yesaar »

zorro wrote:Two points:
2. Why sit for the entrance exam for indies if you think you might not be able to afford the fees long term? And yes- there are a lot of 'extras', school trips, transport, music lessons etc etc.
Zorro, we sat him for the indies to see if he is lucky enough to ensure that the "unaffordable" part of the fees is borne by the school and the affordable part by us
zorro

Post by zorro »

Twins!! Now that is a different ball game ! Well done to your DS on Habs Scholarship, hope your DD does well too. How much is the fee reduction? My DS has a scholarship but it's only 10% so a drop in the ocean really.
We had to make the choice whether or not to cut back on holidays, cars etc but in our case only for one child! It is hard but we believe it's worth every penny. Mind you, we didn't have the grammar school option.
Good luck with your decisions !
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now