1/3 of Oxford Bursaries go to Ex-indie Pupils

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Loopyloulou

1/3 of Oxford Bursaries go to Ex-indie Pupils

Post by Loopyloulou »

Here is a bit of good news - pupils from independent schools are picking up a large proportion of the bursaries being offered by Oxford University: http://www.cherwell.org/content/11497" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It rather proves the nonsense of trying to force Oxbridge to take more state school pupils in the misguided belief that that will help the poor.
Loopy
no_ball

Re: 1/3 of Oxford Bursaries go to Ex-indie Pupils

Post by no_ball »

so 2/3 go to non-indie pupils...
sonu

Post by sonu »

:)
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I really cannot understand why anyone is surprised to find that you cannot get into an elite and meritocratic university by coming from a useless family, going to a useless school, obtaining useless results at GCSE and obtaining useless results at A-level.

"Looks like a duck, waddles like a duck, quacks like a duck, perhaps it is a duck!??"

I am not trying to be nasty but Oxford university should not have to deal with all this criticism simply because they refuse to bow to political correctness and let people in just because they live in Hackney.
ealingmum

Post by ealingmum »

magwich - you may come from a "good" family but clearly you haven't learned any manners, still less what is right and wrong. Just tell me which independent school you are involved with so that I can avoid it.
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

“Of students coming to Oxford University with household incomes under £25k, who then automatically qualify for a full Oxford Opportunity Bursary, 31.6% are from schools in the independent sector.”
May be they came from independent schools because they benefited from scholarships and/or bursaries and so are the elite academically!
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

To "ealingmum" - I do not come from any independent school - my DDs both went to grammar schools and my DC is about to take the 11+ but I do get fed up with inverted snobbery.
My DD worked her socks off to get to Oxford and she gets more than fed up with calls for Oxford to take the intellectually crippled on the grounds of political correctness.
There is, for the avoidance of doubt, only one way to get into Oxford ( thank the Lord) and its really very simple, Very hard work together with being very bright andlong may that continue.
SSM

Post by SSM »

magwich2 wrote:There is, for the avoidance of doubt, only one way to get into Oxford ( thank the Lord) and its really very simple, Very hard work together with being very bright andlong may that continue.
Unfortunately you have missed something out from the above magwich, which is also coming from the right school. As, however much you like to disagree, there are very hard working very bright children who do not have the support, whether from school or parents, to gain a place at Oxford.
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

SSM wrote:Unfortunately you have missed something out from the above magwich, which is also coming from the right school. As, however much you like to disagree, there are very hard working very bright children who do not have the support, whether from school or parents, to gain a place at Oxford.
But then surely attempts should be made to change the mindset of those schools and parents not of Oxford University
mystery

Post by mystery »

SSM, what did you mean about coming from the right school? You said you thought that there were very bright, very hardworking students who would not get into Oxford if they went to the wrong school. Why? If they're very bright and very hardworking they stand a pretty good chance. Although of course places are limited and there are more very bright and hardworking applicants than there are places.

What do you mean by "the wrong school"? I think it might be the other way round - that there are some schools (certain independents) who like to think they have a special link still with certain colleges etc, and this helps them sell the school to prospective parents. But if the student hasn't got it, they don't get in.

I think the biggest thing with the disproportionate numbers from the indie sector getting in are because, if you don't apply you can't get a place there.

And if you think about it carefully, it is quite likely that a fair proportion of Oxbridge bursaries will go to indie school pupils for the reasons others have given above.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now