'The Beckham Boys' at Habs......

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Chelmsford mum

Re: 'The Beckham Boys' at Habs......

Post by Chelmsford mum »

mad? wrote:Well I think David Beckham is incredibly smart, demonstrating high levels of emotional intelligence beyond the wit of many a 'bright' person, charming, articulate in his careful choice of words and generally all round hero and phwaorwoosh. So lucky habs parents evenings :lol:
Someone has a rather large crush and habs better take their security seriously - visions of mad stalking the school...... :D
mad?

Post by mad? »

Chelmsford mum wrote:
mad? wrote:Well I think David Beckham is incredibly smart, demonstrating high levels of emotional intelligence beyond the wit of many a 'bright' person, charming, articulate in his careful choice of words and generally all round hero and phwaorwoosh. So lucky habs parents evenings :lol:
Someone has a rather large crush and habs better take their security seriously - visions of mad stalking the school...... :D
Yes, dates of school fete needed ASAP please!
mad?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Are all the three going to Habs or just the eldest one?

....so are you people saying there is no chance the boys could have got in because they are the Beckhams?

I am sure they are reasonably smart for their parents to consider the school but I still dont rule out foul play. Nothing to do with being snobbish but Celebrities always get what they want and pay for what they want. Its sad but true.
Last edited by sherry_d on Tue May 03, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Impossible is Nothing.
zorro

Post by zorro »

I think it is the oldest 2, the youngest one will probably go to the prep school but I think that's on a different site?
fm

Post by fm »

Fundmentally independent schools are businesses. The more selective they are, the better their pupils do, the more people want to send their children, the more selective they can then be, the better.....etc. etc..

If, however, admitting the sons of one of the most famous footballers in the world (or, indeed, a prince of the realm as has happened in the past) boosts their profile in a positive way, then I doubt most independents would worry too much if it was morally unfair to those who had to sit a rigorous exam to gain admittance. My understanding is that most independents choose to have a selective exam as opposed to having to have a selective exam. Yes, they have their own rules in place for who gains admittance but surely they are just that-- their own rules -- and therefore able to be changed, bent, excepted, as they see fit.

Independent schools accept children on ability to pay primarily, which is arguably fairly inequitable in the first place, with intelligence an added factor if they are in the position to be choosy. It just so happens that Habs can afford to be very choosy as a norm, but I would think it is within their discretion to admit whom they like, regardless of performance in an exam.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Don't agree with the last paragraph - how do they know in advance 'your ability to pay'? They don't ask to see bank statements prior to offering a place.
Surely these boys would have to be reasonably intelligent, otherwise how would they keep up with the high standard of work which Habs is well known for?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yes they will want to keep up their standards! Having said that the Beckham boys may well be totally up to it - I really know little of Mr Beckham or his family, football doesn't interest me.

However suspect it may put some parents off the school....
zorro

Post by zorro »

Yep! Lots of parents will probably not be thrilled at the thought of bodyguards outside the classroom door! :shock: Or paps outside the gates! No more doing the school run with no make up on!!
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

I don't doubt that being a Beckham helped at the interview stage :D but I don't understand why some posters are questioning whether the kids sat the entrance exams or, if they did, that they didn't pass.

My son is going to Habs in September. He is a bright boy but, even with Daddy Goggles on, I don't see him as being particularly clever. So, unlike some of the posters here, I don't consider the entrance exams as being so difficult that the sons of a 'mere' footballer can't have passed them.

I have a friend whose kid went to the same school as one of the Beckhams boys (before the Beckhams moved abroad) and he said that Becks was the kind of guy you want to have a beer with and that the son had none of the attitude problems that some of the other rich kids had. I, for one, hope that they are going to Habs.

PS - There weren't bodyguards outside the classroom door and, apart from Day 1 and the school fayre, there were no Pap presence at the school gate. Think about it. Unless there is a chance of catching Posh in hair curlers doing the school run, why would there be a Pap presence at some school gate in Elstree?
mad?

Post by mad? »

Pushy Dad wrote:So, unlike some of the posters here, I don't consider the entrance exams as being so difficult that the sons of a 'mere' footballer can't have passed them.
+1
Pushy Dad wrote:I have a friend whose kid went to the same school as one of the Beckhams boys (before the Beckhams moved abroad) and he said that Becks was the kind of guy you want to have a beer with and that the son had none of the attitude problems that some of the other rich kids had. I, for one, hope that they are going to Habs.
If one happened not to like beer, doyou think a glass of sauvigon would be OK? :oops:
mad?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now