LEH /Notting Hill and Ealing / NLCS

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JGBallard

LEH /Notting Hill and Ealing / NLCS

Post by JGBallard »

I know distance is key but are there any other insights??? Loved all 3 but for now LEH stands out followed closely by NHEHS
blueyonder2

Re: LEH /Notting Hill and Ealing / NLCS

Post by blueyonder2 »

LEH all the way! My daughter is there and incredibly happy. She went from Bute House and turned down an offer from SPGS as she preferred LEH. My list is endless but they try to encourage the girls to excel in areas other than academics. The music and sports are excellent. Head is inspirational and hands on. The links to Hampton School are great (divided by the fence!). As they get older there is more contact, shared lunches in 6th form, joint plays etc. which is only a positive in my view.

I have no experience of NLCS but am presuming Notting Hill is a GDST school? I personally am not a fan of GDST schools and will probably get shot down for saying that I believe they stand in the middle of the grammar and independents schools, in terms of extra curricular options and pastoral care. All 3 options offer sound academic educations but schools such as LEH, Hampton etc offer that untangiable extra that makes for rounded, adjusted, bright and confident young adults. This is of course my personal subjective opinion before I am shot down for my views!
JGBallard

Post by JGBallard »

Thanks for that insight..seems everyone I hear from is very happy with LEH..have only heard good things about the school. Haven't heard much either way about NHEHS though....anyone with any DC there?
mumoffour

Post by mumoffour »

Afraid I don't know anyone at Notting Hill & Ealing. My daughter is at LEH though and very happy there. Location is presumably a consideration, and for us LEH was much easier to get to. The coach service is an important social aspect of the day and great fun by all accounts. We like the links with Hampton - though the fence has now been reinforced a bit to prevent excessive lunchtime fraternising! Setting wise LEH is much more spacious, both grounds and buildings.

It's a nice choice to have - good luck with your decision.
richmond

Post by richmond »

Just to second blueyonder2 and mumoffour, my dd3 started at LEH last year and settled in very well. Sorry I have no experiance of the other schools, but good luck with your decision

Richmond
mad?

Post by mad? »

I think if money and location are not an issue then a) lucky you and b)LEH. That said, both are great schools and you can't really go wrong with either of them IMHO. We have friends with DDs at NHEHS and they are very happy there and appear to have A LOT of local friends which might not be the case at LEH which tends to draw from a wider area. That said, I guess it all depends where you are in the first place.
mad?
leeks70

Post by leeks70 »

Out of interest, which one did you/your DD choose in the end and what swung it? Would you mind sharing?
Leeks70
JGBallard

Post by JGBallard »

sent you pm leeks70
JGBallard

Post by JGBallard »

We did choose NHEHS in the end. Just felt it suited us better and very impressed with new Head. Thanks for all your points ...we know LEH is fantastic and it was a very hard decision. Just felt the Head is really pushing the school forward and it is going from strength to strength.