100% Scholarships?!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

samraj

100% Scholarships?!

Post by samraj »

I'm sure it's covered in various posts, however can anyone advise the highest Scholarships awarded recently at Chigwell & Brentwood? Thanks
muffinmonster

Re: 100% Scholarships?!

Post by muffinmonster »

Hi Samraj

I don't know what the highest awards are, but I can tell you for certain that they don't give 100%. Brentwood's website says that scholarships are worth between 10% and 20% of fees.

The highest award I know of is from Forest, who award up to 50%. I think it's unlikely that you would get more anywhere.
moved

Post by moved »

Brentwood do not advertise 100% but these do exist. The secretary told me that they did not give them. It is paid as a bursary and has definitely been awarded this year. I know this is available for artists, choristers and musicians, but I suspect that it is available to all who really need it and would benefit from an education at the school and have something to offer the school.
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

But surely that's a bursary, and therefore means-tested, rather than a scholarship? A 100% bursary would be perfectly possible, but depending on income. I think most schools award bursaries on a sliding scale - that is, the higher your income, the smaller the bursary.
moved

Post by moved »

Yes it is a bursary as stated, but only given to those with ability from what I can establish so awarded in a similar way to a scholarship.

The only offer that I know of from several years ago was for a highly academic boy who took a place at KEGS, but I believe that the family were offered 100% despite their ability to pay towards his education.

As with all bursaries forms have to be completed every year.
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

A basic Q about bursaries: Can any child who is offered a place in indie school apply for bursary ? or only the children who are through in admission/scholarship test are only eligible for bursaries ?
moved

Post by moved »

Depends on the school.

Most offer bursaries to families who become unable to pay the fees and their children are already in the school.

Some have some bursary places and allocate them according to funds without the child needing to fulfil other criteria.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now