independent v state.....all that glistens!!!!!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Waiting_For_Godot

Re: independent v state.....all that glistens!!!!!

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I think you know the answer to your question Herm so I'm not sure why you are asking me that when you could be asking all the other posters who replied to the OP in a similar way. :?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Let's get back to addressing what the OP had to say.
moved

Post by moved »

Ed's mum wrote:Let's get back to addressing what the OP had to say.
With good manners and consideration for the feelings of all posters please. :)
zorro

Post by zorro »

My DS has an identical day. The first year was hard and sometimes if he has a lot of prep still is, but the children adjust to it over time.
My son would not exchange his school for the one 5 minutes away for anything , he is thriving under pressure and is being challenged on a daily basis.
Every child is different, some can cope,some can't - whether it is an indie, grammar or local comprehensive. To imply that it is the fault of the independent school is wrong and misleading for parents thinking of sending their children on this exciting journey.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Just picked up on this thread.I don't know and can't really fathom all the history here between some posters but...
There isn't anything offensive in the original post and I can't understand why some posters seem to be getting upset.Just seems to me that for this original poster indep education didn't prove to be the superior option.Why is that a source of annoyance to some? I think it is wise not to assume that just because you pay , it will always be a superior option for your child.Equally I wouldn't suggest that grammar or a comp is always the right option.

I find some of the reaction puzzling as seems the OP was just saying -be careful and don't always assume indep education will always be the better option.

I must be a bit too simple :?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

The clue is in the title CM :wink:

Wherever you see indies vs state you enter at your own risk :lol:
Impossible is Nothing.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

sherry_d wrote:The clue is in the title CM :wink:

I guess you are right Sherry.

Now don't all attack me at once but....... seems we have had a good many threads over the years extolling the virtues of indep education over state. Although I have my own beliefs about some of that, I am realistic enough to realise that is you are paying £10 k + a year for a secondary school, then you would expect it to offer something "more" in some areas.Otherwise why pay - a no brainer really.

However the moment someone suggests that for some ,indep education might not be the better option , well - it seems to me it causes upset. :? That puzzles me really... :?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I'm pleased your child is now happy and settled at the new school.

I'm wondering if some of the unhappiness was an adjustment to secondary schooling ? I only suggest this as I have 2 friends who have children at 2 very different secondary schools...one indie, one grammar school and both children have found it hard settling in, citing tiredness , long travel hours and homework being the main problem. These are the very things I am thinking my ds will also have problems with when he starts grammar in September.

So, I think Justj has highlighted how important it is to ensure our children have all our help and support when they make the big transition from primary to secondary.......as it can prove very tricky indeed !!!
zorro

Post by zorro »

I think you have to allow them a while to settle in and adjust to the longer day. In my DS's case it took a good year . How long did you have your DC at indie Just j?
yogkruti

Post by yogkruti »

sherry_d wrote:The clue is in the title CM :wink:

That had me in splits! :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now