Fully Assisted Places do they really exist?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jj

Fully Assisted Places do they really exist?

Post by jj »

We live in Cornwall where there are no Grammer Schools. My son is in yr6 at State Primary. In yr 5 he was level 5`s. Now he is working at level 6 Maths( teacher from comp comes over), his NFER reading score is 2.5yrs above his age, and he is on G+T register. He is likely to get 5a`s in sats. We applied for an Assisted Place for Senior Independent school. I had to declare income ( I am on State benefits as a carer), Mortgage statement, house evaluation and 12 months bank statements etc.
He passed 11+ and got an "outstanding" maths grade "which showed considerable forte". You just get feedback at this sch not results! :evil: They offered me an assisted Place for £800 a month instead of £1000! :shock: This leaves me wondering whether they even looked at the paperwork I submitted. They couldnt better the offer so I had to decline. Their website states Assisted Places are "upto the value of full fees" - clearly not the case! This leaves me wondering why did I bother - my son is gutted and all the paperwork / references took weeks to prepare. Then there was all the prep my son did :roll:
Anyone out there get a full fees place??
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi,

I fear that they decided that you could afford the £800 -
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

Most independent schools think you have far more spare cash then you actually have!! I find that the "assistance" runs out at a salary level way below where most people wouod still think they would need some help in sending the child to the school.

They have to offer such bursaries to meet their charitable status, though not sure how many can afford to take them unless granny is chipping in - or as happened when I was at school and parents made themsleves low paid emplyees of their own companies and hence managed to get substantial uiniversity grants and school fees remission, - suspect they are onto that wheeze these days - was a long time ago after all.....
jj

Post by jj »

Thanks for imput. I think school would of realised I could not afford it as I am on a Carers Allowance of £37 a week and stepdad only brings home £1300 a month- and why should he pay!!. So a place for £200 a week is unobtainable.
I am so disappointed......... I went ahead as they said upto full fees (means tested) for Assisted Places.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ah - unfortunately I think they expect step parents to pay .. even if it seems unfair - all comes down to HOUSEHOLD income.
And the fact that in any household with two adults (parents or step parents) the one earning more could say that they aren't respnsible for the child's expenses.

Shame they put you through the whole process only to be disappointed by what they had to offer in the end - are there any other options or is worth speaking to the Bursar at the school and asking to explain the offer?

Post by Guest »

Today I heard that my second daughter has an assisted place at an Independent school, my first daughter received a place two years ago. My first daughter did not get an automatic offer, we were told she had not got one of the two places on offer, but a week later we were told there was additional assistance available and we could have a place with two thirds of the fees paid, this being based on my husband's pension. Today's offer also was that two thirds of the fees are paid. It does not take into consideration that we are already paying for number 1 daughter. I too receive carer's allowance for my 89 year old mother. I feel it helps that I am able to offer my services to the school ie I'm secretary of the PTA and involve myself at every opportunity. Fortunately the school is about 200m from our home.

I was surprised that the offer we received today did not seem to take into consideration the fact that we aready pay for our first daughter but never the less delighted that we get this assistance and somehow we will pay even if it means a life of abject poverty!

Getting back to the fact that the school originally told us we didn't have a place means that they can be flexible and perhaps you should say that even the offer they have made is impossible. Don't give up hope if they want your child they can bend the rules. Also it is better for them to have a birght child in the school at a reduced fee rather than a mediocre child paying the full wack. Independent schools receive charitable status based on the assisted/scholarship places they offer.

Post by Guest »

hermanmunster wrote:Hi

Most independent schools think you have far more spare cash then you actually have!! I find that the "assistance" runs out at a salary level way below where most people wouod still think they would need some help in sending the child to the school.

They have to offer such bursaries to meet their charitable status, though not sure how many can afford to take them unless granny is chipping in - or as happened when I was at school and parents made themsleves low paid emplyees of their own companies and hence managed to get substantial uiniversity grants and school fees remission, - suspect they are onto that wheeze these days - was a long time ago after all.....
I feel the same as you do about bursaries. The bands set aren't realistic(certainly not in London) about the disposable income people have after taking off their mortgage outgoings etc. I've heard similar anecdote to the one you tell about disguising real income and assests. For anyone on PAYE wanting a bursay, the figures don't stack up. The contribution you're expected to pay, leave you just about broke. That's why I suspect a lot of those who are on bursaries are getting further financial support through the extended family or connections. I don't believe, however wonderful people think independent schoos, they're many prepared to live with the spending power of a mendicant monk. :(
SpiderMam

Independant Schools Bursaries

Post by SpiderMam »

Yep they do exist however, all household income is taken into consideration and so it should be.

We remortgaged so our two children could go private. If you want something bad enough you will find a way

Bursaries

Post by Guest »

My daughter was given a 75% Assisted Place. We sought help from others and was lucky enough to find a charity willing to help. She is an exceptional musician and very bright.

There is help out there, it takes some finding though just keep at it!