Pipers Corner School, High Wycombe

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
crunchie

Pipers Corner School, High Wycombe

Post by crunchie »

I am interested in the above school for my child entry September 2012. Does anyone have any previous experience of this school?
Demon Pixie

Re: Pipers Corner School, High Wycombe

Post by Demon Pixie »

A good choice if your daughter is particularly in need of a secluded and protective environment.

A poor choice if you have any academic aspirations for your daughter whatsoever. She is likely to achieve more at any Upper School.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Hmm, the second paragraph of demon pixie's post isn't supported by the stats, as a quick google of the GCSE results for 2010 in south Bucks schools will indicate.

That said, her sentiment is probably correct in that the school is better known for its nurturing environment than it is for producing academic high fliers. Families I know with DDs there are happy enough, while not, I would say, singing its praises from the rooftops.
Demon Pixie

Post by Demon Pixie »

Rob Clark wrote:Hmm, the second paragraph of demon pixie's post isn't supported by the stats, as a quick google of the GCSE results for 2010 in south Bucks schools will indicate.
Probably true - but those tables are not comparing like with like. Entrance to Pipers does include a selection process.

If you find any value added statistics on Pipers, they usually show that pupils there make less progress than would be expected on average at a state school.
joop

Post by joop »

Is this a very selective school? I am going to be looking for a nurturing school for my dd who hates competition and is not highly academic ( would not suit a grammar school).
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

I hear quite good things about Pipers for that sort of child. Also Rye St Anthony in Oxford, buses from a wide area of surrounding villages.
joop

Post by joop »

Thanks
Rye St Anthony is catholic and we are atheists so would find it difficult to send our dd here. Am also looking at Wychwood in Oxford.
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

Headington? Fab facilities and happy girls. Quite big though...
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

I have two friends with girls at Pipers (in Y7 and Y8). Both are very happy there. Neither are particulary academic and the girls were in below average sets in a state primary. However they both have progressed really well since joining and parents think it is a nurturing environment and will help them reach their potential.

I don't think the selection test is too onerous as there are a quite a few girls independents around - ie St Mary's Gerrards Cross and Royal Masonic Rickmansworth that are also popular.
ManfromMissenden

Post by ManfromMissenden »

My daughter just started in yr 6 at Pipers a few weeks ago.
She has settled in very well. It is true that as a school it certain places a premium on being nurturing and on behaviour, manners etc. However, the comment about its poor academic results are not supported by the data.
If you look at its GCSE/A level results it actually does quite well; A levels are consistent with most of the Bucks grammars which, given that the cohort of children in there is likely to be less academic than those in the grammars, is in my opinion a real achievement. Its value added scores must be very high - I guess this is what you pay ££££ for.

The admission process changes depending on the year of entry. There is one class of 20 girls per year up to year 6 and in year 6 a second class is added.
Entry at this stage is not based on any competitive exam- my daughter had to go and spend the day at the school and with a class and they talked to her, gave her I am sure a couple of mini tests and that was it.

Of course in yr 7 they have many more children and for that there is an entrance test. I don't think they necessarily do "top skimming" and only take those who do best, but I don't know this for certain.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now