N London - guessing which indie a state boy would get into?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
harrow123

Re: N London - guessing which indie a state boy would get in

Post by harrow123 »

John Lyon in Harrow does not seems to be highly academic
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Hello, Ask your school if they do the NFER year tests in Maths and English and if so they will be able to give you a raw score, a standardised score and also which subject areas within maths and literacy that he is weakest in, for example area. If they do them it is likely they will have just done them in time for Consulation evening. Your ds is clearly capable at doing very well at entrance exams, you just have to make sure his school continues to challenge him and advance his learning at the necessary pace. It is my opinion that dcs can do very well at state school but you the parent need to do an element of policing to make sure that the class is not being brought down to the lowest denominator. Do you have some idea about areas he might need some more focus in, have you just had your consultation? They should be able to give you his actual sats levels ie 3c, 3b, 3a in Writing, Comprehension, Spelling and Maths and also his sats targets for the year and also reading age and spelling age. DG
MrsChips

Post by MrsChips »

Thanks Dao, I'll ask if they do NFER tests and all the other things. It's not that I think Sats are the be all and end all, just that I was pleased he did well without anything additional from us (other than the casual stuff). I was also pleased that his group of friends all did well (or I'm guessing they are). They're very competitive with each other.
I think at the moment, I should just get a tutor booked up for two years' time and try to chill about it. I don't think I'll look at Harrow schools as it's an awfully long way away from us, but will take a look at Forest and Northbridge House as possible bankers.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now