Age of a child.

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Nani

Age of a child.

Post by Nani »

My daughter is December born, does that mean that she will not be awarded her full results if a child younger than her scores lower and is topped up?
pheasantchick

Re: Age of a child.

Post by pheasantchick »

Later born children get a few points added to their scores, rather than deducting points from an older child.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think it's not really that the younger ones get points added, simply that children are only compared with other children of the same age (by month). Therefore if there was a particularly bright cohort of young children taking a test, their raw score to standardised score conversion would be the same. In practice the younger children tend to score lower - which is exactly why standardisation is used. Search on the forum for "age standardisation" and you will find links to nfer which explain it better than I can. If I can find them I'll edit my post later.
scary mum
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I notice that your thread is in the independent section of the forum - indies may well standardise slightly differently - worth having a chat with the specific if you have any questions.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now