How to prepare for Eton & Westminster tests

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doingmybest

Re: How to prepare for Eton & Westminster tests

Post by doingmybest »

A lot of the London day schools sit around the same time. DS's prep school did a lot of practice tests for maths & English using past papers from these senior schools in lessons. They try and familiarise pupils with basic VR skills at school, just so that the test isn't completely alien to them, but they do very little and tell parents to buy a few tests to pracice at home if they want to, but they don't really seem to think it very important, or advisable.
I would absolutely agree with WFG re the importance of the headmasters report, particularly with prep schools which they see as feeders. Sometimes I wonder if these tests even get marked. I know of extremely bright boys who have completely faffed up entrance exams and still been offered a place at a top Indy.

You can get free sample papers from lots of schools websites, or yes I would use Galore Park, but for Westminster they will be a bit easy, try looking at their papers for a year older.

Good Luck
flicka

Post by flicka »

My son has also just sat the Eton Test. He'd already done one entrance exam, so was quite laid back about it and came out saying he liked exams. He was interviewed first, and was unfazed by that, but goodness knows how he did in it.
I asked him if anything we had done in preparation for other exams had been any help, and bizarrely he thought the algebra had been. Not sure why. There were lots of sections to the computer test, apparently, with time limits for each bit. Some were memory type things, putting shapes together, that sort of thing.
They had a film (David Attenborough) to watch while waiting for their interviews and were asked to bring a book to read. Mine took a tractor mag, which he said he read. He adores tractors and would have kept his nose stuck in it I imagine. There was a big group of prep school boys from one school, with a master, who apparently were really naughty and leapt about instead of sitting nicely and waiting.
My DS was with three other boys from elsewhere, plus about a dozen from the prep school. The four not with the prep school party were all well behaved, he told me, but of course, that might not be true! He is not known for his sitting still.
All I can say that it didn't bother him and he liked it.
Personally, I wanted to ask how many boys get knocked down by cars each week, as it was so busy (we did the tour). Didn't dare.
I was pleasantly surprised by how unposh it seemed and how relaxed. Entrance was not too well signposted though. Plus there were road works along the route we were directed in on, and we got hopelessly lost! Scary.
Best of luck. We are now waiting for results in December some time, but definitely not holding our breath!
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

DS was not asked to bring a book. There was a mix up with his application and he was given a last minute slot. It seems the whole process has conspired against him. :(
flicka

Post by flicka »

Oh dear, how did it go though? Did he enjoy it? I guess he could have watched the film. Best of luck. Do you think he stands a chance?
Monstamum

Post by Monstamum »

I wouldnt worry about the lack of book WFG. Our DS took his reading book as requested. Did he read any? Not a chance! He was far too busy comparing notes about the test and in particular a bit of it that involved making a circuit and some chap who flew down the screen in a parachute ! That and interrogating the other poor chaps about where they were from, schools, home, pets, siblings etc. seemed to keep him happy. Actually thinking about it Im not sure he even brought the book home. :roll:

Good luck !
Waiting_For_Godot

DS does not have a chance because the school he has been at for a year has not made it easy for him to settle or integrate - long story - and he has been so bored in class which has meant he has not been an ideal pupil to say the least! I think he will score high enough on the IQ test and assuming the school put his external musical achievements in the report then that is a major plus, and his brother is going. But the report is so important that I'm sure it's a no. :(
Waiting_For_Godot

Meant to add that he really wants to go. I think he has a very good chance at getting into Harrow and they have been very accommodating with us but I'll find out one way or the other by December 15th!!!

P.S. We got a massive A4 letter when DS got an A list place. So look out for one of those!
Monstamum

Post by Monstamum »

Poor chap. Its terrible when DC are unhappy at school as we know only too well - another long story!. All the best to him. Our DS really wants to go too so I have already started on the slow drip feed of "Dont worry if you dont get offered a place.................." just in case. We liked Harrow too, but I dont know the new head at all. Friends of ours have boys there so we are going to compare notes with them later this year. Sounds like we have looked at the same schools. Its so time consuming but its the only way to get behind the slick websites and glossy brochures. If he's doing lots of music do you think he would stand a chance at a music scholarship? Not sure what the situation is there now Ralph Allwood has left, but might be worth a shot if he's bright and musical - and a bit of a saving on those fees is always useful!!
Waiting_For_Godot

DS1 sat Eton, West and Win but DS2 probably wouldn't get in to the last two schools so we looked at Harrow as alternative. My hope is that he will thrive at and love Purcell and we won't need to move him but we do need some options and there are very few schools I'd take him out of Purcell for.
Monstamum

Post by Monstamum »

Hope Purcell works out for him. Wish our DS was as motivated a musician! If he was told to practice his grade 5 scales for 2 hours there would be olympic standard whining. We were advised to look at Win Coll as well but Im just not sure whether its right for DS. We will see what December's (and then January's) post brings and go from there.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now