Bancroft or Forest ??? Which one would you pick??

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Minou

Bancroft or Forest ??? Which one would you pick??

Post by Minou »

Hello,
We have a dilemma ! Bancroft or Forest !!
Our DD has been offered a place for both these schools and now are completely confused! We actually did not expect to receive a place for either and had already mentally prepared for a NS indepen but she has surprised us!!
Can anyone give any pointers on how to choose ? Or even better any any parents give real experience from either of these schools. Would really be grateful ... Thanks
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

Congratulations! What a nice dilemma!

I don't have direct experience of either school but we have looked at Forest in the past for my daughter, and at both for my soon who will be sitting entrance exams next January.

The general opinion locally (and our own impressions of the schools backed this up) is that Bancroft's is more academically demanding and more difficult to get into, so your DD should be very proud.

If you think she's the kind of child who will thrive in a highly academic environment, then I would go for Bancroft's. Forest is also academic, but they seem to be more genuine in their emphasis on extra-curricular, and their music and drama are both excellent.

Also, if she's likely to be easily distracted by boys, then Forest would be better as they educate the sexes separately But I'm sure you know that already.

I know I would be torn in the same circumstances, but I slightly prefer Forest - it seems to me to offer more breadth.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Hopefully you'll get some responses from parents with direct experience of either or both schools.

Congratulations again.
Minou

Post by Minou »

muffinmonster wrote:Congratulations! What a nice dilemma!

I don't have direct experience of either school but we have looked at Forest in the past for my daughter, and at both for my soon who will be sitting entrance exams next January.

The general opinion locally (and our own impressions of the schools backed this up) is that Bancroft's is more academically demanding and more difficult to get into, so your DD should be very proud.

If you think she's the kind of child who will thrive in a highly academic environment, then I would go for Bancroft's. Forest is also academic, but they seem to be more genuine in their emphasis on extra-curricular, and their music and drama are both excellent.

Also, if she's likely to be easily distracted by boys, then Forest would be better as they educate the sexes separately But I'm sure you know that already.

I know I would be torn in the same circumstances, but I slightly prefer Forest - it seems to me to offer more breadth.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Hopefully you'll get some responses from parents with direct experience of either or both schools.

Congratulations again.

Thanks for that or should I say on behalf of my DD as she did the hard work. We really thought she was not going to pass and had already started thinking the next step.
I am going to try and visit the schools again on the advice of another parent from this forum.....
Thanks for your reply
babes

Post by babes »

Hi, Just wanted to say congratus to you and your DD. My DD has also been offered a place in Forest, Chigwell and Bancrofts. We are waiting for the Grammer school results as she sat Woodford and Chelmsford. Only because I have 2 sons to think of also.

I know Independent schools offer so much more but have to think about all the extra costs also.

Not sure what to do for the best any help most appreciated!!!!!!!!
Minou

Post by Minou »

Hi Babes,

Thats excellent !! Grammar schools are producing very good results too at the end of the day and imagine how much money you will be saving! Good luck with results. .......
TP123

Post by TP123 »

Hi Minou

My preference is Bancroft because it is academically better than Forest and (more importantly for me) my DS is not very sporty. So Bancroft would suit him better.

However, my best friends boys go to Forest and she highly recommends it for "beyond" the academic and nurturing experience.

:? not sure how helpful that is. HIH
Minou

Post by Minou »

Hi ,
We went for a second visit to both schools thinking that would definitely give us an indication to which one we should choose ............

Both seem good ....
Bancroft does have a reputation for academia but now think their music drama etc is just as good. The only difference I found ... was that the head does seem to give the impression they are the better school with the MORE brighter children! The building is pretty impressive.
But do produce slightly better end results!

Forest on the other hand concerntrate on giving the view that they treat each child as an individual and would promote their own strengths / character as well as their academic strengths! Even this location is impressive!! But results are slightly less ... but still good!

RELLY CONFUSED NOW :cry:
quest4gs

Post by quest4gs »

I would choose Bancroft over Forest school. However which one is easier to commute? If similar distance. Bancroft will be my preferred school.
Minou

Post by Minou »

Hi Quest4gs,

They are in two different directions and would say we are in the middle. But Forest would be slightly easier because of various routes ........

Any reason why Bancrofts is your prefered school ??
quest4gs

Post by quest4gs »

Hi Minou,

Bancroft is in much higher position on league table and I think one would benefit more in such an environment. It is certainly one of the best if not the best indies in North East London. I just don't feel Forest can compete after I visited both schools.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now