Options for average academic boy in SW London

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

majurormi

Options for average academic boy in SW London

Post by majurormi »

My son is not that academic. Has been in a prep and we would like to keep in the the private sector. Not ruling out state but as academics are not his thing, we think the privates would offer more softer options (art, music, d&t, drama...). Only problem is where? Looking at Emanuel for 10+ as we hope it is an easier entry point. Hampton, Ibstock Place? Where else should I look, Whitgift? The Hall School? Thinking of the London Oratory as a fall back as we are "good" Catholics and should meet the admission criteria. It is 10 minutes from our house in Fulham but I worry that it is a pretty intense place and little exposure to those softer subjects. Any thoughts?
la boume

Re: Options for average academic boy in SW London

Post by la boume »

I thought, that prep schools usually give a guideness about secondary schools? Must say that I have read you post on MN, and you have got a lot of good replies.
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

I wouldn't consider Hampton for a boy who's 'not that academic' and it's a bit of a trek from Fulham (the school coach service doesn't extend that far).

Like la boume, I read your MN post, and can't think of any more convenient schools which weren't mentioned there. The only 2 which sprang to mind are St James and Hampton Court House, both too far away and the latter only goes up to 16.

To echo la boume again, don't the prep staff have any suggestions, given that they know your son and where former pupils have fitted in in previous years?
ealingmum

Post by ealingmum »

If your son attended a non Catholic primary I don't think you would meet the London Oratory criteria. If your prep school was Catholic then you might. The London Oratory is a Catholic school first and foremost - it of course has a strong focus on academic subjects including MFL and Latin but not to the exclusion of sport, music, drama etc
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now