Club level in sport???

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
khanj010

Re: Club level in sport???

Post by khanj010 »

my ds is currently playing in a football club and cricket club after school and also is in a football team which was made up by a guy who we know well, for children on low income and disadvantage backgrounds. does this count as a club level sport.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes, I would think so, it shows he has made an extra level of commitment to his sport. Have you written a sports CV for him? DG
Sportsmum

Post by Sportsmum »

It generally seems to mean - playing or competing for a club at the very least - but they tend to be looking for district, area or county level - with some schools even specifying county for at least 2 sports! Prepare a comprehensive sports cv with details of major successes - the more effort you put into the cv the more the schools believe that you are serious about the scholarship.
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

daogroupie hi

im not going send him to a scolarship sports school although he loves playing sports but , i just want to know if he does not pass his 11+ can i use this for the appeal. what i mean is that will him being in these clubs help in the appeal process apart from his academic levels which are 4c english - 5c maths, and by the way what is a sports cv
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Being sporty will not help in a grammar school appeal.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

No, they're not interested in extra-curricular sport at 11+ appeal (sadly, DD would have sailed through :D )
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

khanj010 wrote:daogroupie hi

im not going send him to a scolarship sports school although he loves playing sports but , i just want to know if he does not pass his 11+ can i use this for the appeal. what i mean is that will him being in these clubs help in the appeal process apart from his academic levels which are 4c english - 5c maths, and by the way what is a sports cv
they would really only be interested in evidence of academic ability.
Freya

Post by Freya »

If it says club level it means club level (regularly training with and representing a club outside school). If the school required county level in order to be considered then it would say county level. This doesn't mean that you won't necessarily be competing against county level players for a scholarship. Often a reference from a club coach is asked for.

Be aware that some schools only count certain sports. For my DS this was county level rugby, hockey or cricket, which are the school's main sports. For girls it would be netball, hockey or possibly athletics. Being outstanding at e.g. swimming, ballet, gymnastics, or football would not have qualified for a scholarship.

HTH
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now