Bromley high junior school vs ashgrove prep school

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tests

Bromley high junior school vs ashgrove prep school

Post by tests »

I am thinking of moving my DD to one of these schools and am in a dilemma. I would highly appreciate if anyone has any views on these schools.
blessedmum

Re: Bromley high junior school vs ashgrove prep school

Post by blessedmum »

hi tests,

my older dd is at BHS senior school. I have heard nothing but praise for the junior school. Its currently no11 on the UK prep school league table. its highly academic.
Ashgrove is also a very good school from what i have heard.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/Parent_Power/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ashgrove is smaller than BHS in terms of nos but am not sure about results in Ashgrove although my friends ds that goes there really likes it.

From what i hear as well, BHS expect most of the girls to go on to their senior school so you may not get help in preparing for the 11+ if thats the route you want to take for senir school but i am aware that majority of the girls that leave BHS junior school end up at Newstead (is this down to the teaching at BHS or input from parents; i am not totally sure)

Ahgrove will probably prepare your dd for the 11+ as they do not have a senior school.

BHS also has fantastic sporting facilities and a well developed arts, drama and music department. Ashgrove do not have as much facilities as BHS due to the size but that depends on what your dd enjoys doing.

BHS is also girls only and Ashgrove is mixed, do you mind this from an early age.

Bromley mum has a dd at BHS junior school so hopefully she will be able to give you more info.

I think you need to think about size, academic results, facilities depending on what your dd enjoys doing and girls only or mixed at a young age.
tests

Post by tests »

Thanks very much Blessedmum for taking the time tow rite about all aspects. I do aim for the Newstead route for the senior school as my older DD goes there. As you said most children from the junior school at BHS are expected to go to senior school. I really wonder if they would discourage children aiming for the Newstead route.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

tests wrote: As you said most children from the junior school at BHS are expected to go to senior school. I really wonder if they would discourage children aiming for the Newstead route.

They do not discourage as such but the girls are not prepared as they are at Ashgrove. Having said that, the girls who leave Bromley High to go to Newstead cope very well with the work as the Junior School does prepare them to cope with a lot of work.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

bromley mum wrote:They do not discourage as such but the girls are not prepared as they are at Ashgrove. Having said that, the girls who leave Bromley High to go to Newstead cope very well with the work as the Junior School does prepare them to cope with a lot of work.
Thanks for reiterating this Bromley mum. I have heard that most if not the all girls that leave the junior school go to Newstead. The few parents I have met are very happy with the junior school.

Good luck with your decision tests
tests

Post by tests »

Thanks very much Bromleymum and Blessedmum. I am still in the process of deciding. Haven't visited Ashgrove so far, may be that would help
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now