Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:25 pm 

Does anyone please have any information on these schools eg academics, selection process etc....good or bad. Thanks in advance!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:18 pm 

Both excellent schools, we know girls who are very happy at both. St Francis is sporty and easier to get to. There is a great coach service and the school is also near Letchworth Railway station. Princess Helena's tend to get the local prep girls from St Albans High who do not get into the High School. Depending on where you live St Francis is a very solid choice, though with two prep classes and two secondary classes it is rather dominated by the preps. Having said that we know two girls who joined in September who are loving it. DG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:32 pm 

Thank you DG!! Do you know what their selection procedure is like exams etc??

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:57 pm 

I remember reading the report for Princess Helena's a couple of years ago - a friend of DD was planning to go there - and it mentioned some pastoral care issues that we would not expect in an indie. DD was off the secondary school topic at the time and we never looked at the school.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:07 pm 

St Francis does NVR and also offers music scholarships. They interview the girls and invite the parents for tea to discuss any issues. Friends who have sat felt they were a lot more welcoming than St Albans and seemed very interested in the girls. Not sure about PH. I do know it is a lot smaller. DG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:31 am 

Thanks again DG!! Thanks for that bit of info pabrighton as that the very reason why we are looking for a smaller school for DD - pastoral care. Food for thought....may reconsider. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:46 pm 

I don't know the school but the Headmistress was Deputy Head at my DS's school and was also his Biology teacher in Y7. She was lovely, very firm but fair and empathetic. I would imagine she is a brilliant head and hence the school would be very well run.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:56 pm 

I think the inspection report was written before the new head took over. I have a friend who knows several girls who have joined PH in the last couple of years and they are very happy there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:02 pm 

skools wrote:
I think the inspection report was written before the new head took over. I have a friend who knows several girls who have joined PH in the last couple of years and they are very happy there.

I was told that the risk around pastoral care (so cannot post details) is not resolved. But I would hope fresh blood would have minimised it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:45 am 

Thank you everyone!!! Zorro i take it that you are referring to St Francis here??