Past Maths papers - what's a reasonable score?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BarnetDad

Past Maths papers - what's a reasonable score?

Post by BarnetDad »

Looking at past papers from NLCS and St Albans (Which are two halves of the North London Consortium). The NLCS side ones seem a bit harder to me, but I was wondering if anyone here had any concept of what a decent score would be to get into Channing/NLCS or St Albans/South Hampstead. Also, whether there's any correction for age?

DD1 applied for just NLCS & Channing, gaining an offer at the first and a scholarship at the second. Unfortunately, I can't remember what kind of scores she was getting in the run-up to the exams two years ago. I know that DD2 is scoring lower (generally around the 70% mark) which I suspect is borderline for NLCS, but probably good enough for St Albans and Channing (though somewhat unlikely to be scholarship standard!).
Daogroupie

Re: Past Maths papers - what's a reasonable score?

Post by Daogroupie »

Barnetdad, I am confident your dd2 will be offered a place at St Albans. Both my dd's thought the VR was very easy compared to DAO and there is a certain maturity that emerges as they go through the exam period. We did think the NCLS/City half of the consortium papers were harder than the St Albans but I am sure it is reflected in the pass mark. Are you sitting at St Albans? When we went for the interview there were girls there who had to sit the VR before the interview because they had sat elsewhere in the consortium and had not done the VR paper. That was not made clear to us and I was glad we did not get caught by it. No girl from our school has ever failed to get into St Albans. The state schools in St Albans are very very good, two of them are in the top ten schools in Herts based on number of applications, (see my other post on this). So the local intake is not as great as it would be in most areas of London. They do not correct for age, they already have half of their intake from the prep school so there are only fifty odd places up for grabs so they did not need to cast their net so far to get fifty quality girls. Out of interest do they advertise in Barnet at all? DG
lotsakids

Post by lotsakids »

DG, I was told that they do age-correct at St Albans when my daughter took the test 2 years ago (she's now in Y8). Also, not all the girls from the Junior School make it to the Seniors - some are told not to apply, and others go elsewhere for various reasons. In Y8 I believe about a third of the girls are from the Juniors, but the majority are not.
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

DAO I think there is too much info in your post. Individual children could be identified from this.

Thanks to everyone who alerted us. The post has been removed for the time being.
DAO - would you like to resubmit, but without any details that could possibly lead to anyone being identified? We do need to err on the side of caution. - Thanks.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Agreed, should have reread before posting and reflected with that in mind. Thanks for alerting. DG
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

A belated thanks for that, but I'm still curious as to what a pass mark (as a percentage) might be (as far as such a thing can be established - in the indie sector, they can exercise far more judgement than in the state, where everything has to be calculated coldly in an attempt to be seen to be fair!).

Of course it's hard to mark the papers completely accurately anyway, making the exercise more academic...