Haberdashers' Aske's Boys' School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

atapuria

Re: Haberdashers' Aske's Boys' School

Post by atapuria »

Daogroupie wrote:I am surprised you didn't do Athey for Herts consortium as they use Moray House. If you got a good mark in the Herts VR then I would focus on the English paper as you did not have to do one for Herts. Students I know who focused on the English paper have 100% success rate at Habs boys and girls and all private schools. Sadly lots don't read the questions properly and answer the wrong question. Time your ds on an English paper and make sure he answers the right question. Attention to detail is key. DG
for VR...have mainly done bond and GL assessment........any particular ones good for HABS....
atapuria

Post by atapuria »

also,

For HABs I believe it is verbal and non-verbal together...is it totally mixed ...or sort of in two sections.? Are you supposed to answer on the paper or a separate answer sheet?

Your reply would be very helpful

A
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is one paper, one half VR and one half NVR, answers to be written on the paper. DG
HappyCow

Post by HappyCow »

Daogroupie wrote:I am surprised you didn't do Athey for Herts consortium as they use Moray House. If you got a good mark in the Herts VR then I would focus on the English paper as you did not have to do one for Herts. Students I know who focused on the English paper have 100% success rate at Habs boys and girls and all private schools. Sadly lots don't read the questions properly and answer the wrong question. Time your ds on an English paper and make sure he answers the right question. Attention to detail is key. DG
We did go through Athey papers too, although found them to be slightly easier than the others.
English - thank you for advice. Is it true they are quite strict about quality of handwriting.....have also been working on that with DS.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Content is more important than appearance. I know students with beautiful copperplace handwriting who still need to learn how to generate marks in their writing. On VR I would use Walsh and Bright Sparks in these last few days, but it is going to be all about the English. What English papers have you been doing? DG
Finchley mum

Post by Finchley mum »

why is the English paper the most important for Habs Boys?
HappyCow

Post by HappyCow »

HappyCow wrote:What English papers have you been doing?
Habs, MT, North London Consortium papers - probably about 9/10 papers in all.
Earlier we did Manchester Grammar papers.

Walsh & Bright Sparks - I don't have these papers - prob a bit late in the day now to get them.

Good luck to all taking the exams.....