City of London Boys 11+ exam

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tubby

Re: City of London Boys 11+ exam

Post by tubby »

HI CPM1771,

If you don't mind can you pls say why you decided against Bancrofts and Chigwell, my dd got an offer for chigwell and on waiting list for forest, an insight would be mostly appreciated. Thanks
Becky Boo

Post by Becky Boo »

HI CPM

Great news for you. I'm pleased to hear you are going to re visit Forest and City - it may make it easier for him to choose and feel settled that he has selected the right school for him. Best of luck with the decision and have a pleasant weekend. Hopefully, not dwelling on it too much.
Cheers
Boo
CPM1771

Post by CPM1771 »

Probably a question for DS really. Personally I would have been very happy with Chigwell, I think it's a lovely school with great facilities. Forest is just a bit more convenient in terms of drop off and pick up. For me I just felt that at Bancroft he was just another candidate. There didn't really seem to be much about the process that looked at him as an individual. The scholarship process at both Chigwell and Forest was a massive commitment from the school in terms of deciding whether he was scholarship material for that school rather than just another child who happens to be academically strong. The interview process at City was also very detailed and designed to assess whether he would fit and contribute to the school. When we went round Bancroft I got that feeling you do when you go round an overly clinical showhome. Not much art on the walls etc. Forest and Chigwell felt "lived in " by the children. Very personal choice and one that will be different for everyone. One thing we have avoided however is making a decision on the basis purely of academics. I recognise that that can have a different emphasis for some that would result in a different list.
tubby

Post by tubby »

Hi CPM1771,

Thanks for the reply, now waiting for March 1st, but we have made the decision already anyway. Thanks again it helped.
CPM1771

Re: City of London Boys

Post by CPM1771 »

Am about to accept City offer tomorrow. Still having last minute concerns about travelling, especially given my dreadful tube journey home last night. Can someone please just reassure me that their DS's cope well with this and ultimately I am worrying over nothing !!
Jollygood

Post by Jollygood »

Hi CPM - My eldest started City as an OG. During his first year there were no other boys from our area travelling with him in either direction. After two or three weeks of me fretting over it all (Not him!) he was very confident with travelling by bus, tube and boat. We did talk through all the eventualities of station closure/alternative routes/over-crowding etc. which I think helped enormously.
Best of luck to your DS!
svg123

Post by svg123 »

We are giving up our City offer, so this will free place for someone on the reserve list.
Its a long journey for us and hence the decision.
We are still torn between HABS & MTS. Visiting them on Thu before we finally make our mind.
Good luck all
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

@ CPM1771 I am sure your DS will be fine. MY son walked to our local school in primary school and then for secondary had a longish journey to school involving car and bus (an hour each way). It was tiring for him in yr 7, but now he is fine. he has also gained lots of life skills in the process. What's more loads of kids are doing similar journeys, all of his friends seem to get up at 6.30 am.The upside for him is long holidays, much longer than he used to get. My DS has never complained about the journey because he is so happy at his school. if its the right school it's worth it.
CPM1771

Post by CPM1771 »

Many thanks for your replies. It is done and we have accepted his place at City for September.

I have found this forum incredibly useful in terms of information and support and have slowly begun to de-mystify this whole process. Here is some further information that I learnt today that may be of assistance to parents applying next year.

457 boys sat for 11+ at City this year for 60 places. Please bear in mind that all of the boys that sit for City will be extremely bright. This is not a school you will get a place at by luck on the day of the exam. To avoid disappointment speak to your child's school and ask for their advice about whether he should sit or not. Of the 457 that sat the exam they interviewed around 200 and offered about double the number of places available. So 337 boys who worked hard to sit this exam were disappointed this year. These numbers are not precise, but it gives you and idea of your chances of an offer and also, if on the waiting list, how many have to decline before the list is used.

The school will do exactly what they say on the website in terms of sending letters out for interviews. They have a separate assessment process for bursary places so if you see posts about boys being called for interview before 11+ interview letters are sent, that is why. I now know from experience that the fee paying scholarship interview will take place as part of the general interview. At City (although not other schools DS has been offered interviews at) it is likely, from my experience that the interview will be with the head and the interview will be more academic in nature. They will spend about 2 hours at the school undertaking individual lessons, interviews and a group task.

Scholarships are awarded for excellence in a particular area. DS does not necessarily have to excel all round, but needs to do well. Our DS scholarship was as a result of one of the top 3 places in English. He still did very well in Maths and reasoning (top 30.) Interviews for boderline boys definitely make a difference to outcome. There was one parent who had obtained results for his child who was top 100 in 2 subjects, but 357 in reasoning who still obtained an offer because of his performance at interview. They really will look for potential in those children.

In the same way that they over offer on number of places they over offer on scholarships on the very same assumption that not every boy will accept. So if a boy is top 10 in a particular subject and good all round there is a good chance of an academic scholarship offer. Scholarships will not be awarded to another child if not accepted.

Lastly the open days, particularly after offers are extremely useful in helping make decisions. The admissions office is particulalry helpful and approachable. They will happily respond to email if the phones are busy as they often will be at this time of year.
Dad1729

Post by Dad1729 »

Thanks for that helpful analysis CPM - very useful for those going through it next year. The only clarification I would make based on our experience is that you do not necessarily have to be interviewed by the Headmaster to be offered an academic scholarship. Our son wasn't, but he was offered a 50% scholarship. I know that decoding interview processes is like Kremlinology.

Anyway, wife, son & I all went to City this morning and I think we all were very impressed. But I had to leave separately to them, so I've not had a chance to discuss afterwards yet. Having sent rejection letters to Forest & Chigwell at the weekend, it's now a straight choice bewteen City and Bancroft's. I think it is now down to son to make the choice, based on where he thinks he will be happiest. I think I know the answer, but we've agreed that a decision needs to made by tomorrow.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now