Westminster School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

questions

Re: Westminster School

Post by questions »

That was the only one DS could remember properly abisha because he struggled with it - am hoping that means he did alright, but I know there's a lot of competition, especially as we'd need a lot of bursary funds.
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

mangomum wrote:It was as expected - very hard. In fact he didn't manage to finish the Maths paper so not expecting an invitation to an interview. How did your DS find the papers?
You still have hope mangomum.With most papers the questions get tricker and the schools know this. He may have got a large number of the first questions correct bringing up his overall marks!
;D
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Is this the pre-test for entry at 13 or for entry to the under school?
mangomum

Post by mangomum »

Thingsbehindthesun - I am the most optimistic person I know but this school is def. out of our league. Not just financially! I would be so pleased if we got called for an interview as I know DS would not have any problems with that but I know if he's missed 4 questions in Maths we really do not have any hopes. If I don't hear by the end of the week then there's always plan b c and d :-) plus it was an experience! I asked him if he made any friends yesterday and he said he did try talking to one boy but he could barley understand him because he talked so posh!
MangoMum
mangomum

Post by mangomum »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:Is this the pre-test for entry at 13 or for entry to the under school?
It's entry at 11+ for the under school.

Does anyone know if they standardise the score at Westminster?
MangoMum
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

mangomum wrote:Thingsbehindthesun - I am the most optimistic person I know but this school is def. out of our league. Not just financially! I would be so pleased if we got called for an interview as I know DS would not have any problems with that but I know if he's missed 4 questions in Maths we really do not have any hopes. If I don't hear by the end of the week then there's always plan b c and d :-) plus it was an experience! I asked him if he made any friends yesterday and he said he did try talking to one boy but he could barley understand him because he talked so posh!
For 11+ you may well be right because the intake is so small, but when DS sat the pre-test (I assume the tests are near identical) he answered every maths question, missed out half the English due to time, and had never seen a NVR/VR paper so missed out some and wasn't really sure what he was doing. He was offered a place and based on his results we were told he was a potential scholar. So try and have some hope!
mangomum

Post by mangomum »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:
mangomum wrote:Thingsbehindthesun - I am the most optimistic person I know but this school is def. out of our league. Not just financially! I would be so pleased if we got called for an interview as I know DS would not have any problems with that but I know if he's missed 4 questions in Maths we really do not have any hopes. If I don't hear by the end of the week then there's always plan b c and d :-) plus it was an experience! I asked him if he made any friends yesterday and he said he did try talking to one boy but he could barley understand him because he talked so posh!
For 11+ you may well be right because the intake is so small, but when DS sat the pre-test (I assume the tests are near identical) he answered every maths question, missed out half the English due to time, and had never seen a NVR/VR paper so missed out some and wasn't really sure what he was doing. He was offered a place and based on his results we were told he was a potential scholar. So try and have some hope!
Waiting_For_Godot wrote: Wow! your son must be super bright!

I remember at the open day we were told the exams at 13+ are GCSE level! Is you son already there? How does he like it?

I will keep a glimmer of hope until end of the week, I'm sure things will work out and he'll get a place at a good school.
MangoMum
vivienphung

Post by vivienphung »

Has any one received invitation for interview? They are starting Friday to Thursday. Does any one know whether they would write or ring?

Friday is one day away, it would be rather late if they write.
questions

Post by questions »

We haven't heard yet either unfortunately. We had a phone call from City before they put the letter in the post as the timescales aren't very long - I wouldn't be surprised if Westminster do the same.
vivienphung

Post by vivienphung »

questions wrote:We haven't heard yet either unfortunately. We had a phone call from City before they put the letter in the post as the timescales aren't very long - I wouldn't be surprised if Westminster do the same.
Questions - can I please ask if your DS's application to City is under bursary award? We also applied to City for non bursary and have not heard from them re interview invitation.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now