St Albans Boys entrance exam

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tnomvete

St Albans Boys entrance exam

Post by tnomvete »

We are through to the next stage fortunately. Hope you are too. Does anyone know from previous years, what class work and activities are likely for this next round?
magic-mum

Re: St Albans Boys entrance exam

Post by magic-mum »

Last year the boys were in groups of about 15-20 and went into various classrooms for a lesson (just the applicants - not with St Albans pupils) My son did classics - Greek / Latin. Others, from what I can remember did German or R.S but it really doesn't matter what the subject is - I think they want to see them in a classroom situation to assess how they listen, interact, if they contribute and participate and even how they handle something they've never done before.I think some boys were also re-interviewed. My son came out with the work he had done in the class & loved it.
Hope that helps - good luck
tenterhooks

Post by tenterhooks »

Does anyone know the percentage of boys attending this week's assessments who will be made offers?
tenterhooks

Post by tenterhooks »

My son enjoyed his afternoon at St Albans yesterday very much. Would be keen to hear if anyone knows how many boys sit the exams/get through to the second round/get offers.
maddad

Post by maddad »

My son was also there yesterday afternoon and enjoyed the D&T "lesson"!

The information about numbers of applicants/interviews/offers isn't easy to come by for most schools (I asked, but the admissions secretary at Habs wouldn't comment on how many offers they made). MTS is very open though - from their website: "About 300 boys apply. We interview about 220. We offer about 170 places. 50-60 offers are accepted". I imagine it isn't hugely different at St Albans school (who have an intake of "up to 72").

So I've convinced myself that getting through to the 2nd round means they're well on the way to getting an offer :D

Anyway, nothing more to do now - just have to wait until the letters come out in 4 weeks.
tenterhooks

Post by tenterhooks »

thanks. I had also seen the MT stats although because the St Albans boys attending yesterday had already passed an interview I imagine there isn't much of a "cut" at this stage
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now