Drama Scholarship

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BellaMamma

Drama Scholarship

Post by BellaMamma »

Does anyone have any experience with the selection process for a drama scholarship? I put DS forward for one in his current school, and he's been selected for the audition, with little experience on his CV.
I need help finding a monologue or two for his audition. It can be one of up to 2 minutes, or 2 one minute pieces, preferably not from a musical, which show acting range. Shakespeare seems way too obvious, and I think he'd do well with modern pieces, teen angst and that sort of thing, but I am drawing a huge blank. If you can imagine the movie, 'About a Boy,' he'd be perfect doing both of the main characters there, but sadly, there's no monologue material there.
Can anyone help with any suggestions?
Has anyone been through this kind of audition, and would be able to share some tips/advice?

Thank you!
wyndales

Re: Drama Scholarship

Post by wyndales »

When I auditioned for drama college MANY moons ago, it was tradionally Shakespeare that was required alongside a more modern piece.
I agree that you should stay well away from this genre for kids nowadays, also try to avoid "celebrity" texts.

This website is a good start if you want alternative pieces.
http://www.stagepage.info/monologs/_monologs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As long as your DS identifies with his character then he will be great!
Good luck!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now