Why would you choose St Alban's over Habs

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Caroline1852

Re: Why would you choose St Alban's over Habs

Post by Caroline1852 »

Guest55 wrote:Caroline - there are ways of saying things that are a bit more kindly expressed.

Words can seem harsh on the screen :D
Yes fair dos. It wasn't meant unkindly in the least. If I was thinking about a school and had previously described my son, and a current parent at the school concerned said you might want to know x, then I think I'd be grateful. Surely this forum is all about that?
Caroline1852

Post by Caroline1852 »

ConcernedDad wrote:Hi Caroline,

Are you associated with St A by any chance? If so, maybe it is appropriate to disclose that detail.
I already said upthread. I'm a St Albans School parent. We chose SA over an offer from Habs which was what brought me to the thread.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Mmm, yes I've had a bumpy ride with DS but I'm not sure he's any lazier or has a worse attitude than most boys. I did think he did but I've observed some children recently in school settings and DS looks completely normal, in fact his current school commented that he is far more mature than his class and exceptionally bright - not sure about either but they are the experts! :wink: I'm many ways I regret thinking he was problematic. I'm sure most of the problems have stemmed from the amount of changes he has had and the nature of choir/music schools which seem to have appalling pastoral care and do not integrate the musicians in with the rest of the school.

I doubt St Alban's is filled with perfect little boys that are carbon copies of one another and I cannot imagine the admissions department would be that short-sighted. If that's the case then why are there not more independent schools in the area as there would be plenty of families without a school place for their imperfect boy!
Caroline1852

Post by Caroline1852 »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:Mmm, yes I've had a bumpy ride with DS but I'm not sure he's any lazier or has a worse attitude than most boys. I did think he did but I've observed some children recently in school settings and DS looks completely normal, in fact his current school commented that he is far more mature than his class and exceptionally bright - not sure about either but they are the experts! :wink: I'm many ways I regret thinking he was problematic. I'm sure most of the problems have stemmed from the amount of changes he has had and the nature of choir/music schools which seem to have appalling pastoral care and do not integrate the musicians in with the rest of the school.

I doubt St Alban's is filled with perfect little boys that are carbon copies of one another and I cannot imagine the admissions department would be that short-sighted. If that's the case then why are there not more independent schools in the area as there would be plenty of families without a school place for their imperfect boy!

But if he does get in Caroline, don't worry - I'm sure he won't bring the standards down! :roll:
Ah well that's good that he is no longer a problem. Sorry for confusing the issue. I tend to read things and take them on board. I don't think it's especially difficult to get into SA tbh, so you should be absolutely fine. And if he's exceptionally bright, you should have perhaps thought about Habs, especially as you stated you preferred that school.

It is quite insulting to those connected to SA to read this thread, which basically says "I much prefer Habs but son won't get in there so tell me why I should go for SA". You'll have to forgive my loyalty to a school with which we have a very long and happy connection.
Waiting_For_Godot

I actually don't prefer Habs but I didn't want to go down the route of insulting parents with kids at Habs. I wanted to know what makes St Alban's a better choice as I don't know either school very well. As I mentioned, I've been very impressed with the school, especially the registrar. She was very welcoming and eventhough I felt he should not sit the test based on his lack of knowledge she was very accommodating and encouraged him to try. I doubt he'll pass the test, which is not down to his ability but his prior schooling and lack of tutoring - most of the maths is not covered in primary school - but he would have a huge amount to offer any school in terms of music, sport and his abilities in English. But he is a square peg, and I felt St Alban's may be more tolerant towards quirky boys but unfortunately your post has made me think that this may not be the case. :(
Caroline1852

Post by Caroline1852 »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:I actually don't prefer Habs but I didn't want to go down the route of insulting parents with kids at Habs. I wanted to know what makes St Alban's a better choice as I don't know either school very well. As I mentioned, I've been very impressed with the school, especially the registrar. She was very welcoming and eventhough I felt he should not sit the test based on his lack of knowledge she was very accommodating and encouraged him to try. I doubt he'll pass the test, which is not down to his ability but his prior schooling and lack of tutoring - most of the maths is not covered in primary school - but he would have a huge amount to offer any school in terms of music, sport and his abilities in English. But he is a square peg, and I felt St Alban's may be more tolerant towards quirky boys but unfortunately your post has made me think that this may not be the case. :(
My sons sat the SA (and eldest sat Habs and got in) entrance exam without tutoring, from a state primary school and they were fine, both in the top sets in fact. There is always some exceptionally difficult maths in entrance papers, it's so that the very able can demonstrate their ability; they don't expect everyone to be able to answer all the Qs. I think you are over-stating the difficulty of the entrance exam and the difficulty of getting in. A fair few boys aren't tutored mostly becaus a lot of parents might be conflicted on whether they should go to one of the excellent local state schools or to SA: lots of people sit the exam and get in and then decide afterwards they are going to go to their state school offer. If you had a but guaranteed place at St George's, SJL, Roundwood, Verulam, Sandridge, Parmiter's or Clement Danes waiting in the wings, you probably wouldn't be very stressy about it either. It's just that state school offers go out AFTER the entrance exams are sat and so parents use the indy school as the backup just in case they don't get offered the high school they're after even though it's 99% certain in some cases. It happens a lot.

Good luck, and I hope you'll tell your son it isn't at all unusual not to be able to answer all of those maths questions.

I
Waiting_For_Godot

Does St Alban's over offer? If its a no, is it likely to remains no?
maddad

Post by maddad »

I think it's very worthwhile having a thread discussing the merits of both schools, which may help prospective parents to make a choice between the two. No need to try and score points, just discuss things that distinguish the schools from one another.

I've noticed once parents have chosen one or the other school, they tend to be very loyal, which again I take as a good sign for both schools. :D
maddad

Post by maddad »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:Does St Alban's over offer? If its a no, is it likely to remains no?
I think most independent schools over offer quite significantly (2:1 or 3:1 seems quite normal from what I can gather). See my comment on the City of London Boys thread.
Waiting_For_Godot

And do you know how many sit for St A's? Thanks!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now