South Herts independent schools.

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Caroline1852

Re: South Herts independent schools.

Post by Caroline1852 »

Where are you intending to move him to at 13? Would it not be better to find a school where he doesn't need to move again so soon?

The King's School, Harpenden (go to age 16, there is a minibus service from Watford if that's of any help to you) it's an excellent school if you don't mind a Christian ethos, their pastoral care is second to none. They are really excellent at finding the key to each individual child. They are very hot on good manners and old-fashioned etiquette and they really seem to get the best out of their students. Children leave at 16 to join various sixth forms in both the independent (incl the highly selectives) and state sector. It is also very cheap: its fees are just £1,800 ish per term. Trouble is, I don't think it's all that easy to get in.

Aldenham also has an excellent reputation for pastoral care and does exceptionally well by its students. The fees are high but all the parents I know who have children there, speak very highly of it and think it's worth every penny.
St Columba's is decent too.

Otherwise, have you looked at your local state secondary schools?
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I'm hoping he'll get into St Alban's but if not I'd rather send him to a prep school for 11-13 as I'm not sure about Columbas and Aldenham's day is too long. I'm not really prepared to travel more than 10 miles which is limiting my choices and I've missed the deadline for state schools.
Caroline1852

Post by Caroline1852 »

Fingers crossed for SA. When will they give you an answer?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now