Magdalen College School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JaneEyre

Re: Magdalen College School

Post by JaneEyre »

Yes, indeed, WFG! Sorry about my shortcut!!! :oops: :oops: I apologise!
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I don't even know if I did say value for money as I haven't checked.

When we looked at the school the range of extra curric and the quality and diversity of the trips were amazing. There is no pomposity with the school and it's exam results are fantastic. Music is also very strong with the Colleg Choir and it's links to MC and the lecturers is another invaluable asset. I'd say it was as good as Winchester and Westminster, in fact there have been Win Coll boys move to MCS for the sixth form.
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

It is fantastic value for money. Extras are lunch, very keenly priced and top notch. Also music lessons, LAMDA etc, but all tutors are first class. Trips are optional. School goes to some length to keep them reasonably priced.
My son fits in tons of extracurric activities, but this school suits boys who can work quickly and efficiently and then get on with their outside interests. My son is v musical and we have been delighted with the encouragement he has recieved.
The teachers are inspirational, and treat the boys as equals. Pastoral care absolutely first class. Any issue, however small, dealt with. Boys are guided strongly to be thoughtful and tolerant to each other. My son has developed into a hard working, fun loving boy, with lots to add to most conversations! All that without any hint of arrogance. As you can tell we are impressed.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Thank you WFG and yummiemummie for your feedbacks. :D
I am very impressed with your enthusiasm for this school , yummiemummie and I wish the best success to your DS! :wink:
Torrylee

Post by Torrylee »

My son was offered a place at MCS several years ago (he is now Y11). We turned it down in the end, purely for financial reasons. Although he is now doing very well at a grammar school a bit of me will always regret that he didn't become an MCS boy. When we looked round at open days and spoke to the staff we were incredibly impressed and I can understand why other parents would rave about the school!

I wish you well with your decision :)
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Thank you Torrylee for your well wishes. :D
But like you, I can already feel that we’ll have to turn down the offer for financial reasons. :cry: I hope we won’t regret it. I know this school is just great and would give our DS a wonderful education. Maybe we can just be proud that he managed to make it till an offer?... and then try to give him as many as opportunities besides his education in a free grammar? It won’t certainly give the well rounded education he could gain at MCS, but it is unfortunately certainly wiser due to our financial situation and due to the economical climate. :(
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

Oh no, so your son has an offer. Def go for it if you can.....My son passed bucks11 plus, but MCS was always our first choice, so we jumped at it when we were offered a place for him. Very best of luck with your decision, YM.
StCatz

Post by StCatz »

Does anyone have any experience of or thoughts on MCS waiting list please? Is it likely to show any movement at all? Thanks :)
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

Sorry I missed this post, I am sure the waiting list should have moved 3 places as we turned down our twin offers and another friend also did the same for his DS.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Indiemom the post was from 3 years ago...
mad?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now