Forest, Chigwell, Bancrofts

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

GideaParkMum

Re: Forest, Chigwell, Bancrofts

Post by GideaParkMum »

Hi everyone. here is my dilemna. My dd has got offers for Forest, Brentwood and New Hall . No scholarships though. We are waiting for the 11+ results and I'm hoping she will get an offer for a GS as well. We can't decide between Forest and GS ( if she gets a place). I believe she will thrive better at an Indy school because DD likes music, sports, drama and is also a hard working student and is from a private primary. What are the pros and cons that I need to consider before making a decision. we have to decide by 5th Mar and I dont want to regret turning down a school and then regretting it later. we are not rich but I am sure we can manage to afford survive the payment of school fees if need be.
Can a GS provide an all round student or are they strictly acacdemic? we listed Chelmsford, Westcliff and southend grammars in that order.
Mum0

Post by Mum0 »

At last we have made our mind.....Rejected Forest, Chigwell, Bancrofts offers and chose City school (50% scholarship) as we thought that it would be good for our child.
Dad1729

Post by Dad1729 »

Mum0 wrote:At last we have made our mind.....Rejected Forest, Chigwell, Bancrofts offers and chose City school (50% scholarship) as we thought that it would be good for our child.
We've now narrowed it down to a choice of two out of those four, but are going to have another look at City on Wednesday before finally deciding.
Becky Boo

Post by Becky Boo »

Hi All

I have a question. Both CPM and Mum0's boys have done outstandingly well and have received 4 scholarship offers each. Obviously, each boy will eventually select only one school and their parents will decline the other offers - 3 each (so six scholarship offers in total will be declined and 2 accepted). What do the schools then do about the declined offers? Do they keep that funding in the kitty for next year or do they make further scholarship offers to other students or do they increase some offers? Does anyone know? I'm just curious and thought someone might have the answer.
CPM1771

Post by CPM1771 »

I think they play a numbers game with the scholarships as well and over offer on the basis that some will be rejected and they end up with the right number, I do not believe they then move down the list. Schools do fund their scholarship programs differently though. Some have funds invested that meet the additional cost of scholarships, some simply reduce the fees, which means, effectively that the other children are meeting the cost.

Looks like we have decided on City by the way. He has been doing his own research and speaking with teachers at his prep and pupils we know who are there and says that he is now 100% sure. We are still going on Wednesday to the open day, but am hoping that unless there is a last minute change we will be submitting acceptance letter. Phew !
maddad

Post by maddad »

I was also wondering if refused scholarships were offered to other children on the list. A number of the schools we've applied to say you have to reply to a scholarship offer earlier than a normal offer (5th March vs 7th March). Why would they do this unless they wanted the opportunity to offer it to other children who hadn't yet accepted an offer?
Becky Boo

Post by Becky Boo »

Hi CPM

Sorry to hear we won't be seeing you at Forest but wishing you all the best with City! City sure have scored well with both your DS and Mum0's DS selecting it. I hope it goes well for all of you.

Maddad - we had to reply by the 5th March to the scholarship offer - I had just assumed that everyone (Scholarship and Full Fee paying places) had to reply by the same date. Maybe they are playing the numbers game like CPM said and maybe some schools do make some top up offers.
Millennium

Post by Millennium »

We are still waiting for Bancroft to save the day on Monday, if not he has decided Chigwell rather than Forest. Forest sent email today on what we thinking and if we want another visit But he prefers Chigwell. Bancroft has told us by midday monday they will call us, will keep you posted but hiopefully good news. I'd prefer Bancroft to Chigwell but who knows what monday will bring us. Waiting for GS results just to see how he's done, and what ranking he came. All the best all who going City be proud cause its a hard school to get into and they must have worked really really hard.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Millennium wrote:We are still waiting for Bancroft to save the day on Monday, if not he has decided Chigwell rather than Forest. Forest sent email today on what we thinking and if we want another visit But he prefers Chigwell. Bancroft has told us by midday monday they will call us, will keep you posted but hiopefully good news. I'd prefer Bancroft to Chigwell but who knows what monday will bring us. Waiting for GS results just to see how he's done, and what ranking he came. All the best all who going City be proud cause its a hard school to get into and they must have worked really really hard.
If you give up Forest now then maybe a place at Bancroft will come free sooner as someone may want Forest and not Bancroft. :?:
CPM1771

Post by CPM1771 »

That' a good point WFG - we can also start a campaign here for people to give up their Bancroft places quickly if they are not going to take them - Millenium needs it. You've done the right thing keeping the school informed so fingers crossed. I've done my bit to free up a place !
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now