Forest, Chigwell, Bancrofts

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Millennium

Re: Forest, Chigwell, Bancrofts

Post by Millennium »

Hi All, been reading everybody's message and trying to find out how long the waiting list is at Bancroft. My son has got place in Forest, Chigwell and is on waiting list of Bancroft. Its been a long wait and after the results I feel proud. But he's first choice is Bancroft and he wants to wait. His a bright child and he feels Bancroft is for him, today he is gone back to school and he did a letter last night to the teacher explaining how he felt and if the school head can explain the talents he has which Bancroft don't know about, poor fellar he is trying. I wish things were just easyas he has worked really well, But we arestill waiting. Congrats to all who got the places they wanted, Parents also congrats its been a painfull few months for both parents and children but results says it all. :wink:
ok1

Post by ok1 »

CPM1771 wrote: We've had an unbelievable morning. 3 offers and scholarships at each 30%, 33% and 50%.
Well done to all - CPM1771 what can one say but "Wow".
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

Millennium wrote:Hi All, been reading everybody's message and trying to find out how long the waiting list is at Bancroft. My son has got place in Forest, Chigwell and is on waiting list of Bancroft. Its been a long wait and after the results I feel proud. But he's first choice is Bancroft and he wants to wait. His a bright child and he feels Bancroft is for him, today he is gone back to school and he did a letter last night to the teacher explaining how he felt and if the school head can explain the talents he has which Bancroft don't know about, poor fellar he is trying. I wish things were just easyas he has worked really well, But we arestill waiting. Congrats to all who got the places they wanted, Parents also congrats its been a painfull few months for both parents and children but results says it all. :wink:
Millennium why dont you call Bancroft and find out where he is on the waiting list. The list does move and there will be people that turn down their place. I have a friend who is turning down a 50% scholarship at Bancroft because she's got 90% (academic and music) at another fantastic and well sought independent school. I am sure there will be others that do turn down their places. Good luck to you ds.
CPM1771

Post by CPM1771 »

Thank you very much ok1 - very kind.

Millenium, you should definitely phone Bancrofts if that is really his choice, but my understanding is that the wait list is rarely used. Find out where is he on the list and how far from being accepted he was. Was he interviewed for example and then not given an offer ? They offer around 2.5 places to each place, so it is only if more than 60% of offers are turned down that the wait list is used. All the schools know that children will have a number of choices and that they will not be first choice for everyone so they over-offer because the reality is they want the children who have performed best in their tests without using their wait list. I am surprised that he thinks that the other schools are less academic though. Bancrofts have achieved better results academically of late, but that is because they are more selective, it does not mean it is a better academic school. Does he really want to go to a school that hasn't chosen him as one of their first choice candidates ? It is their loss after all, not his ! he sounds like a bright boy that will do well anywhere. You might want to get him to go online and read the inspection reports and academic results for Chigwell and Forest. Both schools are still very impressive. Also think about going to have another visit to Chigwell and Forest with the aim of "bigging" them up for him so he feels like he is making a positive choice if Bancrofts doesn't work out.
Millennium

Post by Millennium »

I spoke to the headteacher and he wants to call Bancroft tmrw and find out what position he is. 5 children from his English tuition are not taking Bancroft as they never got scholarship. fingers crossed....
Millennium

Post by Millennium »

The funny thing is he had his interview at Bancroft and his report is fantastic and when he got the letter saying his on waiting list, the other two offers meant nothing. I am hoping he gets in Bancroft if not i'd say Chigwell rather Forest but we gonna have a second visit.
tubby

Post by tubby »

Hi, all

If you have to choose between chigwell and forest school, which one would you go for and why, we missed the tour and open day for chigwell, but l have read about the school, it is just that i am more familiar with forest due to family and friends whose DC attends.
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

CPM, Jollygood, Becky Boo, GideaParkMum, tubby, vivienphung, Millenium and everyone else who got an offer for their DC,

Congratulations to You and Your DC!!!

Millenium, it is definitely worth a visit to Forest and Chigwell - as someone said, schools look really different once you know you have a place there.
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

CPM1771 on 10th Feb wrote: Here's a success story. All exams are done. Last interview was today. We are relatively unscathed and still have a happy, cheerful son. Good luck to everybody with results and well done for getting this far !

CPM1771 on 17th Feb wrote:We've had an unbelievable morning. 3 offers and scholarships at each 30%, 33% and 50%. Can't believe it. No idea what to do. Still in shock.
CPM, Excellent job by your DS! Well done!
Mum0

Post by Mum0 »

Very pleased to tell we got 50% in Bancroft&Forest and most amazingly Chigwell offered us 75% scholarship.
But very confused though what to choose.....
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now