Hoping for scholarship

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
succeed

Re: Hoping for scholarship

Post by succeed »

ok1 wrote: Wish you best of luck with your decision making ;-)
All sorted now, thanks ok1 - much to the joy of my son :D :wink:

I remember the 'languages' issue at KES. By some bizarre coincidence, a French friend/colleague had come round for dinner a few weeks earlier and we had discussed many of the 'issues raised' over some pasta. DS was listening and added his own tuppence worth every now and then. Imagine his surprise and delight to be able to show off his quickness of thought /'higher order thinking skills' on this issue at the interview. His very own a 'Slumdog Millionaire' moment. :lol:

Eek! No letters from Kes yet - this must be torture for you guys :( Still, hang on in there. Not long now for sure
CPM1771

Post by CPM1771 »

Was just reading your thread and thought the debate was interesting. It seems to me that it is all about being realistic, both in terms of academic ability and finances. 100% support is rare. You will not, for example, get more than a 50% award just on the basis of academics. That kind of funding really is reserved for "brilliant" children who really need it. Every school has different criteria so do your research. Some specifically reserve funding for children who have lost parental support for example. It is not just about academics. And if you could afford some of the fees yourself by making sacrifices then schools will expect you to because they want to reserve their bursary funding for children who really need it. That said if you see potential then why not go for it. Prepare well and do not make a fuss. Children are incredibly resilient and it is a good life experience. Prepare for disappointment and hope for the best. Good luck.
ok1

Post by ok1 »

succeed wrote: All sorted now, thanks ok1 - much to the joy of my son :D :wink:
Hi succeed - I am glad - some good news to end the day on - nice one! :D

Still hanging on to some little hope left, did have to top up my 'hope reserves' by watching the some Shawshank Redemption, has restored a wee bit, lets see how long it will last. :D

Hi JayneEyre - KES compared to other indies I believe is very proactive in seeking new funding, recent events i.e the sixth form boys calling old Edwardians for cash, along with ties to commercial opportunities such as HSBC programme. From memory the AP boys increased to 35 this year and they are not resting on their laurels with the hope of increasing this every year until they get around 40% intake, so would not be surprised to see number hitting the 40's. The chief master is easily one of the most passionate and genuine of people I have had the pleasure of meeting, his enthusiasm and fervour is anything but infectious.

All we can do is hope that our boys are selected, in the hands of the gods now.

I wish you and your son well and hope you get what you are after.

ok1
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Hi ok1,
ok1 wrote: The chief master is easily one of the most passionate and genuine of people I have had the pleasure of meeting, his enthusiasm and fervour is anything but infectious.
I was also really impressed by him and the interview was really informal and warm! Totally the opposite of the interview my parents went through for me some thirthy years ago in a famous boarding school in France! The headmistress was such an icecube! :shock: Maybe it's a matter of generation! :lol: :lol:
Wishing also all the best to your DS!

Keep your hopes high tomorrow! Go jogging, cleaning the fridge like some other poster (your DW would be so pleased!), doing the maintenance of your car... and Monday will arrive in the wink of an eye! :wink:
JaneEyre
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now