Hi. I hope it will help if I tell you what happened to my DD last year. We had one offer and two waiting list places. We immediately phoned one school, SHHS, as we were very keen and were told that there were only 20 places on the waiting list and they usually offered all. We did get an offer within three days but at this stage we had decided to go with our first offer. We were also wait listed for G&L. Our school phoned to find out about another girl in the year and G&L told our Head that my DD was in the middle section of the waiting list but at the top of this section. Our Head felt that if we wanted her to lobby on our behalf we might be successful. We decided not to go ahead with this. I think this is the time that the school really push for you as long as you take that place!
My only advice would be not to jump into the offer school if you are on a waiting list for a school you and your DD want more. Let the school know how keen you are and keep calling! We took the firm offer of slightly less academic school and think this was a mistake in hindsight. I wanted to get off the crazy roundabout of 11+ and just accept something so we could all get a good nights sleep - however am not sure if that was the best thing to do!
Good luck to all of you. I remember last year so clearly and how anxious I got even though I had promised myself I wouldn't! Have to do it all again next year with DD2!