Hoping for scholarship

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tubby

Hoping for scholarship

Post by tubby »

Hi all, pls do not shoot me down, because this might cause a bit of a controversy :oops: l was just thinking about the damage of sitting and preparing hard for an exam, passing but not being able to go because DP cannot afford the fees sometimes with 50% might do to a child's self esteem, especially if the child has seen the school and fallen in love with it will definitely break my heart as a parent :( .

l don't know should parents who know that their child is brilliant and an all rounder mainly focus on good grammer school or gamble on getting 100 % scholarship, with the risk of upsetting DC. A friend's going through this at the moment, my DD got an offer for Chigwell, and we will be making big sacrifices soon. I honestly hope this post does not upset anyone please :|
mamakiso

Re: Hoping for scholarship

Post by mamakiso »

I am exactly in the same position - However, I made it very clear to my DS that if we didn't get a 100% bursary/scholarship we would not go to an indie. Maybe I'm lucky but he fully understood this. I showed him the results of the indie exams and asked what he wanted to do - his response was wait for grammar school results! I think it depends on the child and how the DP handles the situation. It also prepares the child, I think for the future - life is not a bed of roses there will be huge disappointments along the way and they have to learn to deal with that.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Have you seen the thread on this subject in Everything Else?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 38&t=24203" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(lights blue touchpaper and retires to a safe distance :shock: )
tubby

Post by tubby »

Thks for that did not see thread will have a read
penguin

Post by penguin »

what's your experience of how the school deals with an application like that - where the child can only attend with 100% scholarship/bursary?
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

penguin wrote:what's your experience of how the school deals with an application like that - where the child can only attend with 100% scholarship/bursary?
The child has generally got to be phenomenal - years ahead academically, massive IQ.
ok1

Post by ok1 »

We too are in the same boat, can only send ds if we get 100% scholarship/bursary. We made the school aware of the situation,and very open about our concerns, i think a large number of parents will fall into this category, the rest is left to fate. We have also prepared for grammar should the 100% not be forthcoming.
succeed

Post by succeed »

Good Luck with the KES results tomorrow ok1 :D
ok1

Post by ok1 »

Thats very kind succeed, thank you. Not long now.

Thanks for your speech re opportunity and knocking on doors, like you, had the chat with ds, everything now in place. :-)

Wish you best of luck with your decision making ;-)
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

ok1 wrote:We too are in the same boat, can only send ds if we get 100% scholarship/bursary. We made the school aware of the situation,and very open about our concerns, i think a large number of parents will fall into this category, the rest is left to fate.
Hi ok1

I understand now why you stayed so much with the chiefmaster!! :wink: .. And I regret not to have insisted on that matter for us, as only a slight diminution in the fees will direct us directly to the grammars.
The problem with me is that if I start to speak about languages (whether modern, or classics.. oh dear Latin! Oh , dear Greek!), I forget all other things!! :roll: :(
Last edited by JaneEyre on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now