Colfes or St. Dunstance

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lefol

Re: Colfes or St. Dunstance

Post by lefol »

Tough one , but Nina I actually prefer the building at St Dunstans.

To help your decision, I would consider the following ;

Which school your DS prefers , as both schools are on par in terms of academics
The closest to you as you do get traffic on Lee Road and also in Catford during the rush hour. The 124 bus stops directly opposite st Dunstans .

The value of the scholarship , if it's 20% and above , I will go for Colfes as some of the extras, such as a trip to Italy are optional.

Compare league tables for both, A-C grades for St Dunstans was 100% and their English baccalaureate (5 gcse, language and history) was 68% and Colfes was 98% A-C and 67% EB, historically St Dunstans have always had good GCSE results .

If you want him to stay on for A'levels or IB , St Dunstans has a better reputation for IB

My DS is at eltham college but preferred the lunch and cakes at St D when he sat the test sometime ago.

They are very close , so go with what your DS prefers and carefully consider the distance from your home .
help me

Post by help me »

Thanks....all for your feed backs....
Nina...I was offered the scholarship from the beginning..but did not put the info here originally in case the thread I receive could get a bit biased.
Lefol...My DS always had a thing for Colfes..especially liked the grounds. I still want him to go to Dunstance..(Academically)... I have been to visit the schools again...felt a more friendly atmosphere at Colfes and the Headmaster actually came out to meet us and chat. At Dunstance the Head Mistress passed us on one occasion but not even a node..wonder if she knew we were there for a purpose???
I have untill Monday morning and let you know!!!
help me

Post by help me »

Lefol...congrates for your DS to get into Eltham...I got a no reply...
lefol

Post by lefol »

I would probably say go for Colfes, especially if DS likes it. You are the third person to mention the approach of the head at st Dunstans , some people find her 'not friendly' . My problem with St D was also communication as you had to chase them for letters etc .Good school , but Colfes is on par and probably a bit more friendly . At Colfes they have a week bonding trip in September ...good luck with your choice , he will do well.
IngaL

Post by IngaL »

We also will be going to Colfe's even academically it is not on the top compare to some other schools, but... the atmosphere was very nice, we liked the Headmaster, the classes are small and we got the scholarship offer. I guess academically you can do well anywhere if your mind is set.
help me

Post by help me »

Hey.....friends.. Thx for all the feedback..and your time,very helpful. I tested my DS on Saturday...The scenario: " I went up to him and said we are too late for Colfes...so now the only option is Dunstance, next he runs upstairs and in tears. This seals the decision that he is very passionate about Colfes.
With all your feedback and his passion, I am finally going to Colfes. My heart is still Dunstance....