HABS -v- Merchant Taylors - how do we choose???

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lara228

Re: HABS -v- Merchant Taylors - how do we choose???

Post by lara228 »

Sportsmum wrote:If you look long enough and hard enough you'll find horror stories about most schools. My best advice is to go with your gut feeling. It sounds like you've already made your mind up... Other than the chips and rubbish choice in the canteen, what does your son feel about each of the schools?

I know boys at both schools, some absolutely delightful - others not so. Which head did you prefer? Which one gave you that comfortable feeling that he was there for the school and the boys - and that he and his staff would continue to strive to do the best for your son?

To be honest you really have made your mind up - be brave and accept the offer that your heart tells you is right for you, your son and your family.

Good luck xx
The weird thing is that all along we preferred MTS - the open day, individual tours, all communication leading up to entrance exams etc etc UNTIL offer letters came out - HABS one was much nicer, sent letter to DS, MTS one was very perfunctory. Also, really liked my interview with HABS Deputy Head - seemed very much on my wavelength - would have liked an interview at MTS but only DS interviewed.

Will end up pulling a name from a hat on Monday morning and then rushing to school with acceptance and cheque!!!
lara228

Post by lara228 »

mad? wrote:I remember our 'choice' dilemma well and almost wished that we had only had one option. That way we would have had to make the best of it and focus all our energy on being positive. We would also have felt less responsibility in the event that anything went wrong! You will hear good and bad things about all schools and MUST put them out of your mind, perhaps questioning the motives of the bearers of the news. Go with your gut and don't look back, ever. When DS comes home and grunts at you every day for a term, when his grades slip one term, when he is hideous and uncooperative as only teenagers can be don't for one minute that it is because you made the wrong choice. High school and young adulthood brings with it a number of challenges and for parents, perhaps the biggest ones for us as parents is learning that we cannot always make things right and accepting that it is not be our fault, or the school's or the child's. Good luck and, if you want my pennyworth, MTS. :D

Thanks so much for sharing your experience - seems highly sensible advice and much appreciated.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I really wouldn't read too much into an offer letter - they are meant to woo!

In fact DS, being ahead of his years in some ways :o , was not impressed at the charming nature of his acceptance letter and saw right through it. His mother on the other hand had been wooed! :lol:

I think your decisions for choosing Habs over MTS would be foolish. ( runs and hides)
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Hi Lara, OMT here so obviously biased but I loved the school then and parents I know who have children currently there seem very pleased with it.

FWIW I still see a number of schoolfriends from MTS on a regular basis, 3 of whom are godparents to my DCs, and I left nearly 30 years ago.

But both are excellent schools so I’m sure your DS will do well wherever he goes.
maddad

Post by maddad »

Hi Lara

Both schools are excellent (so any horror stories are likely to be untrue), so the decision comes down to a combination of the little things. We're in the same situation and for us, the little things say Habs (travel is much easier; DS would struggle if he couldn't take a packed lunch; his speciality is maths; not much musical ability). From your first post, I'd say the little things are definitely saying MTS for you!

Good luck with the decision and I really like mad's advice: "Go with your gut and don't look back, ever."
lara228

Post by lara228 »

Rob Clark wrote:Hi Lara, OMT here so obviously biased but I loved the school then and parents I know who have children currently there seem very pleased with it.

FWIW I still see a number of schoolfriends from MTS on a regular basis, 3 of whom are godparents to my DCs, and I left nearly 30 years ago.

But both are excellent schools so I’m sure your DS will do well wherever he goes.
When we went to MTS open day was teamed up with a Grandpa and his grandson - they were not there to check out school as the boy was going to be 3rd generation at the school - Grandpa just wanted to revisit old haunts! Am very impressed with OMTs - am on the committee of my school's old girls' association and it is almost impossible to get anyone under the age of 80 involved!
lara228

Post by lara228 »

[quote="lara228"]
The weird thing is that all along we preferred MTS - the open day, individual tours, all communication leading up to entrance exams etc etc UNTIL offer letters came out - HABS one was much nicer, sent letter to DS, MTS one was very perfunctory. [quote]

:oops: :oops: Have just been sorting out my paperwork and found buried at the bottom of the MTS large envelope a handwritten card from the Master who interviewed my DS congratulating him on getting a place at the school etc. :oops: :oops:
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

lara228 wrote:
lara228 wrote: The weird thing is that all along we preferred MTS - the open day, individual tours, all communication leading up to entrance exams etc etc UNTIL offer letters came out - HABS one was much nicer, sent letter to DS, MTS one was very perfunctory.

:oops: :oops: Have just been sorting out my paperwork and found buried at the bottom of the MTS large envelope a handwritten card from the Master who interviewed my DS congratulating him on getting a place at the school etc. :oops: :oops:
:lol:
maddad

Post by maddad »

So that's decided it, I presume :D
workhard

Post by workhard »

Hi lara228!

Habs is significantly more academic than MTS, for example on A* grades at A level and the quality of Uni faculties joined by its almni. If this were fundamental to me, then I would go for Habs.

WH
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now