St Albans Boys or Parmiter's?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MrsP

Re: St Albans Boys or Parmiter's?

Post by MrsP »

Re: Sets at StA,

The boys are certainly streamed in the first year for maths. By Year 3(9) they are streamed for English, Latin and languages. All remaining lessons are by their Form groups.
copella

Post by copella »

Daogroupie wrote:Wow, this is an interesting thread! I am all agog to find out what happens at DAO now. I have never heard of anyone being tutored but this does not mean anything. I know straight A* students who have gone onto Oxbridge but don't know if they had this helping hand. When do they start to stream at St A's? How would you know when to step in? When do the school start giving you the predicted grades? Is it more common for GCSE or A level or is it about the same? AS results out this week. Would this be a good time to call in extra help? Dg
Just for your info DAOgroupie I know of pupils who attend DAO who were tutored. The girl who showed us around informed us that she had tutoring for physics and I know of other families who have sent their children to tutors to improve their grades.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thanks Copella, I really don't like to ask my contacts. It seems an insulting thing to ask. How on earth did you manage to get onto the subject of tutoring on the tour? Did someone ask her directly? DG
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Daogroupie wrote:Thanks Copella, I really don't like to ask my contacts. It seems an insulting thing to ask. How on earth did you manage to get onto the subject of tutoring on the tour? Did someone ask her directly? DG
My friend went round Habs and the sixth former showing her round said he was studying two A'levels outside of school because Habs would only let him sit three. She had only asked how many A'levels he was taking and was surprised by the response.
copella

Post by copella »

Hi DAO groupie no we didn't ask it just came up. I think she was talking about how much harder A levels were and that she struggled with physics, she was very positive about her teachers but said that she was begin tutored to ensure she got the grades she needed. Everyone just took it as an Ok thing to do.