Royal Hospital School - Ipswich

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Harrysmum

Royal Hospital School - Ipswich

Post by Harrysmum »

Hello

My DS is currently in Y4 and we have been having a look at school options for secondary school. My DS has fallen in love in RHS and I wondered if there was anyone on here that had any information, good or bad, about this school.

Thank you
HM
Minesatea

Re: Royal Hospital School - Ipswich

Post by Minesatea »

I have no direct experience of the school now but grew up nearby. It has changed significantly (co-ed now) but was in the past a "naval" school so sailing was always a big thing (I used to have a dingy on the local reservoir and remember watching the new year 7's taking their first lessons). The CCF was also a major part of the school, some buglers in full naval uniform used to be provided for the local remembrances services.

A colleague has a son there and is very happy with the school.
Harrysmum

Post by Harrysmum »

Bump!
MrsB

Post by MrsB »

Don't actually know anyone there but heard anecdotally that a nice school, and it seems popular as an alternative to Ipswich School for boys (ie for whom Ipswich HSG not an option!). Probably slightly less academic than Ipswich (which is lovely).
Harrysmum

Post by Harrysmum »

Bump again!
Kesteven

Post by Kesteven »

This board is rather London-centric, I always think. So it's not easy to get feedback about schools in the 'sticks' (our DS is in Portsmouth).

Maybe have a look here -
http://www.independentschools.com/engla ... ol_84.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MrsB

Post by MrsB »

Try posting in the Essex forum as North Essex parents may have experience of Suffolk Indies
P's mum

Post by P's mum »

RHS was (and still is in many ways) a naval school. It has been co-ed for a long time. The daughter of a good friend of mine went there (some considerable number of years ago). We applied and were offered a place, which after some thought we turned - probably fortunately as it was the closest school we liked to my mother (we were living abroad) who then less than a term after my daughter starting secondary school went into a home!

Information based on three/four years ago but I doubt that it has changed a great deal. Seriously though - it is fairly comprehensive in intake some will make Oxbridge some will leave at 16. This is in part because of a significant number of foundation places (I think that this what they are called) that go to children with naval connections (parent or grandparent) who are deemed as needing or benefiting from a place this is more defined by social need than academic prowess. These place can be completely free. For fee payers the fees are pretty reasonable and include the uniform. It is a full boarding school with no compulsary exeats though it has recently begun to take a few day students (no weekly boarders though). Extremely good music and music scholarships (we were first reserve probably would have taken the place if offered a scholarship) choir in Royal Variety Show and similar events, marching band I think, orchestra etc. Wonderful outdoor activities - obviously domiinated by sailing, every child learns. Fine chapel and I seem to remember daily services.

Very full timetable including extra curricula activities. Geographically quite isolated - children don't get much freedom (much less than at my daughter's school). Clearly pros and cons to this.

Dramatic location, grand buildings all boarding being refurbished to a high standard (old accommodation was rather cramped) most probably done now. New music school. Caring staff. All live on site.

All in all a lot going for it - depends what you are looking for.
P's mum
Harrysmum

Post by Harrysmum »

Thank you for your replies, i figured i had posted at the wrong time, what with all the results coming out. I will repost in Essex. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now