NLCS bursary

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mimi72

NLCS bursary

Post by mimi72 »

NLCS bursary
Last edited by mimi72 on Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daogroupie

Re: NLCS Bursary

Post by Daogroupie »

I know two families who have bursaries, not for NLCS but for another leading private school. It only covers the school fees so everything else has to be paid for. Instrument lessons are very expensive as they tend to be offered by freelance teachers who are not part of the salaried staff. Their school has a second hand uniform shop where they get most of their kit from. Many schools do ask for donations but they expect contributions in line with what people are able to pay, not a standard amount. If there is a PTA contact it might be worth contacting them and asking their advice on some of these things. Or alternatively is there a pastoral Head that you could approach? Good luck, I really hope you can work something out. They obviously really want your dd to come to the school and she has done really well to be offered a place. DG
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Always worth checking about the second hand uniform sales - these are thriving in many indies...

Regarding the other stuff, I suppose the problem with equipment, meals , music lessons, trips etc is that the school may have the view that you would have had to pay for those wherever your DD went - but it may be worth asking the bursar if there is any help available for these things.
mimi72

Post by mimi72 »

Thank you very much for your replies and useful suggestions.
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) gets uniform bits at the NLCS Good As New sale. The only time I go to Pullens is if something goes missing during term time but a call to the Parents' Guild would be all it takes to get the used uniform cupboard opened if you are in the same circumstance. Honestly, the new stuff feels quite itchy until it has been washed to death and the girls like the old style embroidered logo sweatshirts better. Your DD will start off looking like she's been there for yonks in the used kit. They also have all the bags, lacrosse sticks etc.
Don't let this worry you. Also, being a bursary holder means that your DD is not just clever but uber-clever and should be very proud.
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

shootmenow wrote: Don't let this worry you. Also, being a bursary holder means that your DD is not just clever but uber-clever and should be very proud.
I second that. Wish this forum also had a 'Like' button aka Facebook :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now