Please Explain...

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mum in Slough

Please Explain...

Post by mum in Slough »

Hi

Great site by the way...

Could anyone advise me what I would need to do to send my son to an independant school and how I would apply for scholarships ?

Is the 11+ used as an entrance exam ?

I am a bit confused as to what you have to do with all this ?

Thanks.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Mum in Slough

Glad you like the site!

Each school will differ - the best starting place is the school's own website.

Some schools will have entry into the Senior School (as opposed to the Prep School, if there is one) at age 11, some at 13 only, some at both ages. Some will use their own entrance exam, some will use the Common Entrance exam and others will have no exam at all - perhaps just a school visit and informal interview with the child.

Scholarships will vary from school to school. The details on school websites are usually just the bare bones. The best thing to do is to try to find out which school is most likely to suit your son's abilities and then speak to the Registrar and/or Bursar.

Do post back if we can be of more help.

Sally-Anne
WirralJW

Post by WirralJW »

Most of the independent schools will have open days/evenings early in the autumn term. Independents tend to hold their open events at the weekend to better accommodate working parents
(it's a shame the state sector doesn't follow suit - I was exhausted at the end of a 'school visit night' after being in work all day!).

These events are a great way to see what the school has to offer and whether its ethos will suit your child. They also tend to have all the right people on hand to ask about scholarships, bursaries etc.

Only two weeks to go till my son starts his new school - though I think I'm more excited than he is LOL !

Good luck in your search for the right school for your child. (and bear that phrase in mind when looking around.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now