Advice much appreciated on headmaster interviews please

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sue123

Re: Advice much appreciated on headmaster interviews please

Post by Sue123 »

I think that perhaps I should add that my comments were meant primarily for marginal to good candidates applying to competitive schools. I have heard several stories of boys who openly told the interviewer that that school was not their first choice or that they would much prefer to go to xyz School. You would think that would be a huge no-no, yet they were such strong candidates that they were still offered places (and we are talking about London day schools here).
I also think that some children are naturally very articulate and outgoing and can talk about a pc game or a TV show in an engaging, intelligent manner. Other children may need to be coached (just a bit) to bring them out of their shells and prevent them from giving mono-syllabic answers, while staring firmly at the floor. In some schools, even that might not matter.
I think that all advice given on this board needs to calibrated against the character and ability of the individual child and the school being applied to. The better prep schools will prepare children for what to expect and even conduct mock interviews (ours did, with various retired secondary headmasters!) and what I suggested is intended to level the playing field a little for those whose schools are not quite as much geared to the process.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Many thanks everyone, I have appreciated all comments...It probably would have helped to say in my op that the schools we are thinking about are highly selective . We have no experience of the applications/testing procedure for senior schools and both my dc's can be quite shy. One school will be tackling interviews etc after half term but it will be too late as the first interview is in 2 weeks so thats why I decided to ask the EPE experts !

Thanks again-we'll let you know how it goes
Best wishes
Tigger
Sue123

Post by Sue123 »

Good luck!!
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

Tigger2 Very good luck to them both. Just to add my DS was (and still is) quite shy and was applying to a very selective private school from an inner-city state primary. I think that the head was very good at putting boys at their ease (and parents - I too had to meet the head separately as part of the process and was also rather nervous!). I hope that your DCs encounter a similarly inspiring head at their interviews.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The Head of a top London girls private school told the audience in her open day speech that she thought the interview was much more important than the exam. She prided herself on being able to sort out the much tutored and prepped girls from the natural able one in minutes in an interview. My dd's did ten interviews between them Who would you like to interview and why? is one my dd was asked. She responded with very strong views on why able children should be allowed to go to grammar schools and get away from children who don't want to learn! Another one was what would you change about your school and why? My dd's really enjoyed all their interviews. It is a chance to talk about who you are rather than just prepare for exams. DG
mystery

Post by mystery »

Mmmmm to that comment from the head of a top London prep.
mad?

Post by mad? »

mystery wrote:Mmmmm to that comment from the head of a top London prep.
What comment? I think DG is referring to a secondary head?
mad?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes, it was the Head of the one of the top London girls private schools speaking in the Head's talk on Open Day. She also warned girls against learning chunks of material for creative writing and just using it no matter what the subject was. They obviously have a problem with heavily tutored girls applying who then fail to progress. DG
Jean.Brodie

Re: headmaster interviews please

Post by Jean.Brodie »

We had a PARENTS 'Interview' at one private school. We were really upset that we were to be interviewed, the two parents together. It really looked like social vetting to us when we received the letter. And, frankly, that's what it was. ... We presented ourselves, especially smartly dressed, like the two professionals that we are. We bit our tongues throughout 'against' this posh, posh Head. Hated it, absolutely hated every minute. ... As for our DD, she really enjoyed her two interviews, with Deputy Head and Head, and she was eventually offered a scholarship.

Our DD did have a 'chat' or two at the kitchen table to practise for all her interviews. They were all 'softly, softly', judging by what she told us, but all the more subtle for that. We told her to listen to the question and answer it honestly, to feel free about expressing her opinions. And that's exactly what she she seems to have done. All these interviews resulted in at least an offer of a place.

I believe that what my DD has is an ability to form and express opinions on all sorts of issues, something she has always been encouraged to do at home and in the wider community. She is used to chatting amongst adults from a very young age. She also loves to be on stage, loves the challenge (and the attention?). All of this may well have come across in the interviews, but more so in the more challenging written questions. ... But I really do not believe that interviews is how selection for schools should be done, unless it is for a competition Debating Club or a youth Drama Company.

'Heavily tutored girls'? The exams should weed these out, not the interview. Interviews are too subjective, too prone to social or socio-economic bias and too easy to manipulate. ... Even 'tutorial' type events or interviews are suspect. And we are dealing with kids aged ten, for goodness sake!

Daogroupie - You seem to be a committed and busy tutor. How do you square what you do with the phenomenon of 'heavily tutored girls'?

Anyhow, if there is to be an interview, just prepare with a couple of brief chats and encouarge them to be themselves. Good luck!
Cranleigh

Post by Cranleigh »

Hope this is useful to others:

The following questions were asked at St. Paul's interviews in January 2012 * What are your ambitions? * Do you have any siblings? * The Battle of Hastings happened in 1066, it is 2012 now. How many years ago did this war happened? * What time is it half way between 11 0'clock and 3:22? * Describe this picture [window looking out onto a landscape] * If you could save anything from your house(not pets or people), which three things would you take? Hint: don't take any electronics.